What are these tabs?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Default What are these tabs?!

Hey all,

So, I figure someone here would be more knowledgable about this than I. I have a '75 and above each of the windows there is a small metal clip. I think the driver's side clip is somehow bent or something and pushing my window out.

Today, I replaced the top weatherstripping on the windows and, while the passenger side shuts perfectly with a solid seal, the driver's side does not. With the old stripping, sometimes when I closed the door, the clip would be shut inside the window. It annoyed the hell out of me and I thought that maybe replacing all of the stripping (it needed to be done) would resolve that. While I don't see it being shut inside the window now, something is keeping the driver's window from getting a solid seal with the new stripping. They're manual roll-up windows and I'm not sure if there's any kind of guide mechanism like there is for power windows.

Can anyone lend their insight to what this may be? It's really annoying and I'm afraid that when it finally rains here in LA that I'll get water inside the car if it's parked outside during work hours. Let me know if you need photos or more details!

Old 11-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Those tabs are called "roof rail blow out clips", and they should not hit the glass when it's properly adjusted. You can bend them slightly to clear without causing any problem. The upper window glass stops might also be set too high, which is causing them to not clear. Adjusting door glass is a tedious operation, and even more so with new weatherstripping. I spent days getting mine set after replacing the weatherstripping. There are some online instructions that will help get it right, but most likely a 2nd adjustment will be needed after the weatherstrip takes a set, and will need a slight adjustment again.
Be sure all your internal guides, rollers, felts, etc. are new or good before trying to adjust the door glass seal and alignment.
Here's a link:
Window Alignment Guide - NastyZ28.com

Old 11-17-2013, 04:35 PM

Hey there. Sorry for the very late response. Thanks for your feedback - the link is incredibly helpful. I haven't had any chance to take the door panel off and check the guides and such. I've just been pushing the top of the glass in slightly when closing the door to ensure it creates a solid seal with the weatherstripping. It's not hitting the tab either now that the new stripping is in there so that's nice.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:11 PM

Thanks for sharing information,your information are very helpful for me and increase my knowledge.