Removal of climate control level tabs

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default Removal of climate control level tabs

I'm trying to finish cleaning up some interior/dash pieces and also fix the paper behind the climate controls that has shrunk and is out of place behind the plastic lense cover. I'm having trouble getting the climate control levers out and not sure why. Do the ***** on these levers just pull off? I can't get them to budge and on the back side of the levers is some kind of round locking clip that doesn't look like the way to go removing the levers? Can anyone tell me how to get these levers out of the climate controls? Would be much appreciated!

Also, there's a light bulb/wire that mounts on top of the ash tray mounting bracket and I have no idea where this thing hooks up or how? Any help there would be great also, thanks in advance everyone!

Attached Thumbnails Removal of climate control level tabs-dscn1890.jpg  
Old 03-30-2012, 06:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

What's happened to this forum?? Before, I could (or anyone for that matter) could post a question on here and have it answered within an hour. 4 days and counting. Didn't think it would be this tough of a question, but I got it figured out. Starting to look like the F150 Forums around here!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:24 AM
2nd Gear member

I know what you mean,it's getting to be a ghost forum anymore haha.I was hoping someone would answer the question since i want to redo the same part on mine,but since you got it figured out,how do those ***** come off?

Old 03-31-2012, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

did you figure out what the wire is for on top of the ashtray?

Old 03-31-2012, 11:16 AM
3rd Gear Member

The last thing I want to do is be disrespectful on here but I just don't get it. Couple hundred views and not one reply. Anyway, the ***** come off just like the headlight switch pull ****, you just pry that sucker off of there! By looking at the backside of the levers I could tell that there was no way to remove them by taking off the round locking clip but I was just trying to make sure before I broke something. I took a pair of regular pliers and opened them up so I could grab the sides of the ***** and not scratch them all up. Just hold the backside of the levers and pry like hell while wiggling them. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Removal of climate control level tabs-dscn1898.jpg  
Old 03-31-2012, 11:18 AM
3rd Gear Member

Mike, no sir, have not figured that out yet. It has a light bulb which I'm assuming if for the ashtray but I have no idea what connects to it or where? I don't plan on using it but I also don't want it just hanging there. Do you have the same thing?

Old 03-31-2012, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

yea mine is just hanging there also, guess ill just zip tie it somewhere for now

Old 03-31-2012, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I was one of those who "just Looked" but I had never taken them off myself so I was waiting for an answer too!!! As to the wire in the ash tray.. It needs to get hooked to a dash light feed... it dims with the gauge lights so it is in the headlight switch or gauge wire harness but I don't remember where that bad boy hooks up. now you at least know where to look for the wire.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:52 PM
2nd Gear member

If i remember right,i think that light should have a connector at the other end that goes into the back of the gauge cluster the same way the bulb holders do,but like i said it's been a long time so i'm not positive.That white face you put on the control panel looks great,it also gave me a new idea for mine.I was going to just redo it black like original,but now i think i'm going to do it with silver to match the ultralite gauges i put in.So after you pry the ***** off,how hard are they to put back on,do they just snap back on there,or do you really need to force them back on?

Old 03-31-2012, 10:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

I bet silver would look awesome on the climate control panel! The ***** are a bit of a PITA but they go back on OK, it's just getting leverage to pop them back on that's tough. I was able to get them off of there and put back on without so much as a scratch too, worked out great. Just open a pair of pliers up to the wider setting and the grooves in the pliers will fit right on the back edge of the ****. Maybe shoot me a pic of that panel in the silver when you get it done? Appreciate the info on the light too. Just don't understand how this thing works? The end with the light/holder could plug into the back of the cluster I guess, but the other end is mounted in the ashtray holder frame. What would power the light? I dont get the end in the ashtray frame.

Quick Reply: Removal of climate control level tabs