What to do ?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Default What to do ?!?!

alright so i got a dilema.

I own a 1980 z28 camaro with the snazzy t-tops. I just installed a 383 stroker in it this summer. it runs like a dream. time to make it look that way. it just emerged from the body shop had all the rust and what-not removed and had the decals painted on and the teardrop redone. now i'm lookin at rims.

I have 2 sets already - a set of SS Cragars that came with the car when i bought it and the factory original rims which i had painted to match the car (charcoal grey with dark blue and white accents). Now i want a set of larger rims for the car which i intend to use for trips to the drag strip. how large of a rim can i fit inside the well of my car so that it still looks semi class but has the large rim look to it?

open to suggestions. i plan to install the Hankook Ventus RS3 on the new rims depending on the size

Old 10-08-2010, 09:49 AM

Also something i forgot to add when originally writing this thread... with the new 383 in it. are there any other mechanical or drivetrain modifications that people think would help with power i want to really lay down a strip

Old 10-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Overdrive Member

SUB FRAME CONNECTORS. Before the car folds in half. Your 60ft times will be better too.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:47 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
SUB FRAME CONNECTORS. Before the car folds in half.
Totally agree,if you have'nt already put a set on,that is the first thing to do,especially with a t-top car.Also depending on what rear end it has,that may need an upgrade too.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:01 PM

great thanks honestly would've never thought to do that. Suspension upgrades. i realize i should probably do something with it......... what are most people upgrading with? and as far as my rim question. goes what size would look best. i was looking at something around a 17" or 18" is that gonna fit inside the well?

Old 10-08-2010, 04:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah 17's and 18's will fit with the right backspacing.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:05 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah,i have seen several camaro's with 17 & 18 inch rims and like stated above get the correct backspacing so they tuck in nice,and they really look good on these cars.If i'm not mistaken i believe the backspacing for the rear is like 5" for a 17x9" rim,i'm not positive though so definitely make sure to check before you buy.As far as suspension,really depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend on it.Alot of people use the hotchkis lowering springs front and rear,which looks pretty good,another great place to get performance suspension parts is protouring fbody.He has good prices and knows alot about our cars.Here is a link to his site.
http://www.pro-touringf-body.com/cha...omponents.html

Old 10-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Overdrive Member

Custom works is a west coast dealer for the pro touring stuff to. The guy that owns it is a camaro guy, Dave at pro touring is all trans am. The difference in wheel wells between the two alters what will and will not work for wheels and tires. If you want someone that can tell ya exactly what will fit call them http://customworksproducts.com/suspension.html