Weld Alumastar Rims (Cracked Rim)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 05:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Weld Alumastar Rims (Cracked Rim)

Hello everyone, just wondering if anyone ran into the same issue that I did. I have Weld Alumastar Rims on the my Camaro (No I didn't put them on it, it was one of the brilliant things done by the previous owner (sarcasm)) and the driver's front wheel has a hairline crack by where the solid part of the inside of the rim meets the outside part of the rim that goes up to the lip.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I've read on other forums that people are running drag only rims on street cars but certain techs don't recommend it on f-body cars or with radial tires. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and whether it is all myth or truth?

Anyways I have a real reputable aluminum welding shop locally and they have fixed aluminum rims for me in the past and the have held up better than before they cracked. I am ver concerned with it though and these rims will be coming off the car as soon as I can save up a little extra cash to get their street counterpart. Thanks!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I've seen that before with the Weld Pro Star wheels. A guy on another forum went through two front wheels where the spokes cracked and totally separated from the center hub. And he wasn't the only one it happened to. On those, the spokes are a thin, inner/outer piece sandwiching a solid hub. They're great for a straight-line runner, that's it.
If your AlumaStars are constructed the same way, then they're NOT a good street wheel either. They can't take the corner carving side flexing that performance cars like to give it (as you found out).

Old 08-10-2010, 02:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks Camaro 69, and yeah that's what i was figuring that they were under way too much pressure on the cornering. They are a two piece rim where the center section with the bolt patern in the strongest part of the rim. I can see where the lip part of it would be being put under way too much stress. I was going to buy a set of weldstar front rims for now beacuse theya re cold forged and meant for the street but so are the prostar's i believe. That's making me wonder if I should even stick with Weld or go to another company....

Old 08-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It's the thickness (or lack) of the two piece spokes that's the weakness. I wouldn't be as concerned with a one piece wheel.
For anybody else who may have these kinds of wheels, take a CLOSE look at how they're made, and that they don't have ANY stress cracks.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Seems like evry time I hear about this it's always the front skinny wheels. I guess it's as Camaro 69 said, they don't take the stresses of cornering. I know of many people running them all around and the big wide rears seem to not have issues cracking. I suppose for the same reason, no cornering stress on the wheels that don't turn.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Very true point, i've never heard of any issue with the rear wheels either and I've been doing alot of research through forums the since this issue happened to me....it definitely looks like the weight of the f-body cars is an issue and i'm sure it's not helping that i have a 468 big block in the car adding all that extra weight to the front...looks like i'm gonna have to suck it up and buy the street counterpart to before I have a major blowout and some serious damage is done