Water pump leaking!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Water pump leaking!!

Alright so this morning I woke up to my car leaking almost all the antifreeze from a leaking water pump so I'm going to replace it with one from either autozone or oreillys. So is this a hard project to do or is it a quick one??? And also what kind of water pump would u recommend me getting for it???

Old 11-14-2011, 12:57 PM

It's really not that hard a project. Just be sure to take out your fan shroud if you have one. Makes it much easier to get to the fan bolts, which you should at least loosen before you loosen and remove the belts. Be careful you don't put anything into the radiator fins, don't want to make a new leak! I don't think the gaskets come with a new pump. Check, or ask and be sure you have them before leaving the store. Just get a stock pump...might want to ppime and paint it before you put it on. Nothing uglier than a rusted water pump on the front of an engine. While your at it...check all the hoses to be sure they are not 'soft' or checked. Now is a good time to replace them all. Oh, and don't forget the coolant. Good luck.

Last edited by Rjtack; 11-14-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Not many water pumps as easy as a smallblock Chevy to change. I would remove the radiator myself, as it's an easy task, and as mentioned, you don't want to gouge the radiator fins.
Drain radiator, remove the top hold down bracket's 3 bolts. Remove upper and lower hoses, and lift the radiator out, then the shroud. Loosen the belts and remove them. Pull 4 bolts on the fan and remove fan/pulley. Remove 4 bolts on the water pump and remove. Clean up the mating surface, and reinstall new pump, then all the rest.
Fill the system with coolant/water mix about 50/50 and start engine. Run it with the cap off for a few minutes, then add mix as it drops until it's full, then install the cap.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Alright it was a pretty project I got it off now and went to auto zone but they didn't have it so I had to order it and I will finish it tomorow thanks for ur help guys

Old 11-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Overdrive Member

Holy crap! What has the world come to when AutoZone doesn't have a water pump for a SBC. I would have laughed in his face then went somewhere else.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

In the auto parts business, the SBC water pump is considered an "A" item, which means it's something you never run out of. I'm a bit shocked too! Especially for a chain store!

Old 11-16-2011, 11:49 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well the worker told me that all their other stores had it if I wanted to go pick it up at those but it was getting dark already so I just decided to come bak the next day

Old 11-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Overdrive Member

Thats still no excuse. There are something like 40 million SBCs.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

alright guys i ran in to a new problem when tryin to install the new one!!! Alright so the screws that go on the fan that attach it to the water pump dont go all the way in. So i screw them in and they get pretty tight so i dont know if i should keep on going or if i should do something else???????

Attached Thumbnails Water pump leaking!!-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 11-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Overdrive Member

There fine as long as they don't bottom out on the other side. That will cause the pump to not spin freely. I tighten mine as tight as I can get them with a wrench.

Quick Reply: Water pump leaking!!