Voodoo Cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:06 PM
2nd Gear member

How about this, I go ahead and get the intake (already got good carb) and new valve covers and just wait till I get the money for a cam. By the way I already had plans for new valve covers.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:22 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

That's a good plan. Both cams are far too aggressive for your car. The cam will outflow your heads, and not to mention you cannot use the factory springs with that much lift.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Your choice, but I've learned from making wrong choices as a young man that doing this piece meal never comes out like I wanted. Whatever you install needs to be done again when you take the next step, plus you never get the full performance you hoped for until it's all done. Then once the whole top end is done the bottom end usually starts to show signs of wearing out from the etra right foot action on an existing engine. Hopefully your engine is fairly new before starting all these other upgrades.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:50 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Your choice, but I've learned from making wrong choices as a young man that doing this piece meal never comes out like I wanted. Whatever you install needs to be done again when you take the next step, plus you never get the full performance you hoped for until it's all done. Then once the whole top end is done the bottom end usually starts to show signs of wearing out from the etra right foot action on an existing engine. Hopefully your engine is fairly new before starting all these other upgrades.
Very true. When I built the engine in my Z, I was 14 and didn't have a lot of money. I was at least smart enough to put what money I DID have into building the bottom end somewhat stoutly, but I ran low on cash and used stock 350 heads, a mild cam because of the stock heads, cheap headers, single, small pipe exhaust, and cheap dress up parts.

Now three years later, I don't have the performance I was originally aiming for, and a leaky ebay oil pan. This winter the engine is coming back out, and its going to be gone over RIGHT.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear member

So what are some things I can do to build up my bottom end?

Old 11-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbl76camaro
So what are some things I can do to build up my bottom end?

Depends on what you want to spend and how much power you want to make as they go hand in hand.

Better than stock either way.

Mild......... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ESP-B13402E030/

....to wild.......... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ESP-B12011030/

Old 11-21-2009, 06:15 PM
2nd Gear member

Alright I think I've made up my mind on what I'm going to do. I'm going to buy the intake maniflod and other little stuff like a new air filter now, and then build up the bottom end and then, buy a cam. Sound good?

Old 11-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Overdrive Member

I thought you had a short block with 3 grand in it? If so just "freshen it up." At least you'll know exactly what you have to work with. Honestly if the bearings looked good I would just put it back together, then all you out is a pan gasket. Maybe an oil pump if your already in there. But lets not get away from the original reason for the post. I don't know your finances. If you got your stuff from someone you trust. Like you seen it running before it was pulled. I would consentrate on the top end as planned. I agree with both of those guys when they say they wore out the motor before they had all their parts on it. I spent a crap load on heads, cam, intake and carb on my first motor. But I put didn't put a penny into the clutch that was slipping. End result; I burned up the bottom end.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:09 PM
2nd Gear member

Where'd you hear that I had $3,000 in it? And is that a yes about what I said earlier?

Old 11-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Overdrive Member

Ooops got you confused with someone else. Had a few too many last night I guess.

Last edited by 77nomad; 11-22-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Voodoo Cams