Value of Mint 79 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Value of Mint 79 Z28

i agree with 1969 SS, it can probably get $10k-$12k

i disagree with 1969 SS on the engine compartment though. to get top $ you should clean it up. let it match the rest of the car. you should also try to organize the hoses and wires a little better. im not sure what 1969 SS means by "all the wear and tear". By those pictures it looks as if that car has been taken well care of under the hood. Everything looks to be in great condition considering the age. you cant always tell by pics though.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 73 T Top
im not sure what 1969 SS means by "all the wear and tear". By those pictures it looks as if that car has been taken well care of under the hood. Everything looks to be in great condition considering the age. you cant always tell by pics though.
I really didn't know how to word it. I was just trying to say (in short form), that the engine compartment is nothing special compared to the other pictures he had shown. it is average at best. when the word "mint" comes into play, you need to leave the year of the car out of the evaluation. a "mint" 1979 car should be in the same conditionas a "mint" 2008 car

I'm just trying to say that even if he cleans up the area, he is still going to have all the rust there (not that there is a lot), the condition of all the plastic is going to be the same and those hoses are still going to show their age. I do agree about the wires and hoses as I looked at it, but usually I can tell if someone just recently messed with that type of stuff, just trying to get the sale, and again that makes me wonder how much care they put into the car the whole time they owned it, not just when they are trying to sell it

when I buy a car, I like to see it in the condition the original owner kept it in, not a condition that isn't truly indicative of the car. anytime I sell a car, I always sell it in the condition that I keep it. I don't try to hide something by doing extra detailing.

for a normal car that you are trying to sell, I agree that it should be cleaned up and it usually might get a couple of extra bucks for doing it, but when you ask a higher dollar value (considering the type of car) and are using it's "great original condition" as a selling point, you should leave it in it's "original condition". if the engine compartment is just washed down, and possibly covered inArmor-All, but the rest of the stuff looks old, thatalways puts red flags in my head. I start thinking "what is he trying to hide? why does it look like he never really gave this much attention until now? if this car was alway cared for properly, why is all the stuff rusty? why are all the hoses and wiring kind of a mess? why are there old rusty parts (thermostat housing as an example) on a newer looking engine (intake and top-end)? he should have taken the time to clean and paint that stuff when he did all that work. it doesn't take too much to do, so what other little things did he overlook? etc, etc...

again, I am not bashing this car, because it does look nice in the few pictures he posted. I am just saying what comes to mind, when I look at and there have been noreal detailed pics of the carshown. if you have really ever bought cars online before, or have done over enough older cars, you would understand that nothing is usually as it seems. usually when a car looks exceptional in one area, that probably means it is lacking to the same degree in another area.

again, I am just saying what I have learned from my experience of buyingover 20 F-Bodysover the years, never mind the other cars I have purchased

Old 04-02-2008, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

i completely get what you getting at now and i agree 100%