Value of Mint 79 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Default Value of Mint 79 Z28

Well everyone, my Dad is finally putting up his baby for sale. It is his 1979 camaro z28, 75k miles, original owner, perfect white paint with orange/red decals. Fully restored interior, 350 V8, auto, American racing wheels, tons of stuff. He is tight on cash and is wanting to sell it. I am going to list it for him since he is not the most technically advanced person, but I am new to the 2g market. Anyone have a high-low range for this cars worth. I can get pics if you that would help. I also would be willing to pay $100 to anyone that finds a buyer with a good deal. Thanks,

Adam

Old 03-30-2008, 06:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Value of Mint 79 Z28

If it helps any, I just paid $5000 for a 1980 Z28 in very good condition. It has 69k on the clock and is 100% orignal. It has the 350, auto, power windows, air, T-tops, cruse, tilt. The body and frame are rust free, and everything is solid on the car.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

Where is the vehicle located at? Pics would be helpful.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

"mint" is a very subjective word. I have seen people say a car is mint, and then upon finally seeing them, I would call them "very nice" at best.

if the car is truly mint, they seem to be asking, and getting (because that's the important part), around $10,000 - $12,000 all day long. would I pay it? no, but a lot of people do because that's what the market will hold and I think that's fair.

I've been watching the market trend downward lately, on lower end cars now because of the economy. the higher end cars (1st gen type stuff) are still holding and even climbing in most casesbecause usually the people that buy the nicer end of those cars just pay cash, and only drive them a couple of times a month anyway, so they aren't the type of people that are hurting for money.

good luck with the sale

Old 03-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Like SS said, few cars fall into the category of mint. But we need to see pics first, but pics don't show everything.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

from the limited pictures you showed, the car looks real nice. interior looks pretty good too because those seats usually show more wear than that. the ride height looks good, so that usually tells a lot about spring conditions. the underhood shots are usually indicative of the rest of the unseen places on a car, and with that being said, I wouldn't classify that car as mint. are those rot blisters starting to come through behind the passenger rear tire?

real nice condition. I'm sure that car could fetch between $10 -$12k, but I don't really know how many people really go for that combo with red interior

I'm not bashing the car because it does look good, real good...but I am being a little overly critical because if I was to buy the car, this is all stuff that I judge as good points and bad points when I can only see a few different pictures

Old 04-01-2008, 12:17 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

That is a very clean car, and in fantastic shape for that matter. But it is not a "mint" car. In the future, just word your title more carefully.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:56 AM

Yeah, I was not sure how to word it. I figured if I said very clean 79 I would not get the same attraction and therefore not as much input as to the market value. The underside of the car shows almost no rust but the engine is defintitely the dirtiest part (its not even that bad once it gets seafoamed cleaned). Thanks for all the input everyone it was very helpful!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:23 AM
3rd Gear Member

the dirt in the engine compartment wasn't the issue. it was the general condition of everything under the hood that I think we were commenting on. honestly if you "seafoam" the engine bay, it will almost look like you are trying to dress it up cheaply to hide something. with all the wear and tear that is under that hood, as a buyer, I would rather see it in the "dirty" condition that it is in now, then someone trying to clean a bunch of worn and rusted stuff. clean or dirty it is still going to look the same, but at least if it has old dirt on it, the buyer can see if there were any existing fluid leaks of any kind

hope your father has good luck with his sale!

Quick Reply: Value of Mint 79 Z28