Transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Overdrive Member

Did you install the clutch with the correct side toward the engine? It should have had a note stamped in it saying " this side toward engine." Or something similar. If the shifter was locked with the tool and the rod was adjusted correctly, how was the tab able to move? My first hot rod ate four speeds for lunch. It get pretty easy after two or three times. Also you said you replaced the flywheel but did you replace the pressure place. You said that was warped. Never seen that.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Did you install the clutch with the correct side toward the engine? It should have had a note stamped in it saying " this side toward engine." Or something similar. If the shifter was locked with the tool and the rod was adjusted correctly, how was the tab able to move? My first hot rod ate four speeds for lunch. It get pretty easy after two or three times. Also you said you replaced the flywheel but did you replace the pressure place. You said that was warped. Never seen that.
Yes, the springs are facing away from the engine like the manual said. The problem was actually a combination of the transmission NOT being in neutral AND the rods not adjusted correctly. I pulled some pretty novice moves trying to hurry so I would have a car for school. And the previous owner was an <explicative> moron. The clutch plate was broken, not warped. You should see what he tried to do with his "electrical expertise". I replaced the flywheel because it was gouged, but I also replaced the whole clutch as well. hehe looking back, I need to do a better job of explaining better.

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Wont start, or wont even turn over? If it wont crank over then you need to check the clutch safety switch. It will only let you start the car if the clutch is fully depressed.
When I turn the key, nothing happens. So my dad and I have narrowed it down between a connection problem (his idea) and clutch safety switch (my idea). I ran out of light before I could find where it was (on the back of the clutch pedal?), so that's where I'll start tomorrow.

Thanks again, everyone

Last edited by RamzaFreak20; 01-04-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:55 AM
2nd Gear member

Turn on the key, nothing happens is not the safety switch. During this clutch change, did you attach all the wires back to the starter? The main feed for the car comes from the batt cable and a wire joining up at the starter.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The clutch safety switch is under the dash near the pedal pivot point. Take a peek under there and get a test lamp if you don't already have one. Check for power to the switch with the key on. Then depress and check for power through the switch.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The clutch safety switch is under the dash near the pedal pivot point. Take a peek under there and get a test lamp if you don't already have one. Check for power to the switch with the key on. Then depress and check for power through the switch.
I search for maybe 3 hours for the css. Nothing. Looked up the colors of the wires, and there are two cut purple wires, spliced together. Checked those and they were fine. I got a new starter right after replacing my clutch. So I was toying with it. Brought it to AZ and it tested bad (figures). Got a replacement for my replacement and now the starter spins, pops out, but is not engaging the flywheel. I compared my new/old flywheel and they were the same size around, so I know I have the right one. I noticed washers on one bolt, but not the other, so I'm thinking it's a shim issue. Any ideas about that?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I'd disconnect the battery, then manually engage the starter drive to see how it lines up with the flywheel. You'll have to either get up in there with a screwdriver to lever it out, or remove the solenoid and pull on the plunger to lever the driver out. This should tell you how the starter lines up, whether it needs shims, and how much shimming.

PS-The two purple wires were to the clutch neutral safety switch. Someone jumpered them to delete the safety switch. Pretty common thing to do.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 01-05-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'd disconnect the battery, then manually engage the starter drive to see how it lines up with the flywheel. You'll have to either get up in there with a screwdriver to lever it out, or remove the solenoid and pull on the plunger to lever the driver out. This should tell you how the starter lines up, whether it needs shims, and how much shimming.

PS-The two purple wires were to the clutch neutral safety switch. Someone jumpered them to delete the safety switch. Pretty common thing to do.
So I did what you said, and I found out that the start is about a finger width apart and no matter how much I try to twist or shim the starter, it won't come close to engaging. Major set back

Just to double check, for a saginaw 4 speed, I use the 10.4" clutch and the 153 tooth flywheel, correct?

Last edited by RamzaFreak20; 01-06-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I think the problem is solved! You should be using the 168 tooth flywheel, not the 153 tooth. The clutch is the right diameter, but wrong flywheel. Did you compare it to the old flywheel prior to installing it?

Old 01-06-2012, 05:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Never trust advance auto parts website. I put them sideby side, but I could have made a mistake. Lol so no staggered starters that would fit a 153 tooth flywheel?

Old 01-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by RamzaFreak20
Never trust advance auto parts website. I put them sideby side, but I could have made a mistake. Lol so no staggered starters that would fit a 153 tooth flywheel?
If your block is drilled for both starter bolt patterns, then you can use either starter. If you have both diagonal bolt holes and straight across pattern, then you will have 3 drilled and tapped holes in the block at the starter location. Some SBC have both, most don't.
If you can change the starter, then you'll probably save money. I usually use a tape measure, or lay the flywheels back to back to check diameters on a new flywheel.
You're right about trusting the guys at Advance Auto Parts. It's a crap shoot at best!

Quick Reply: Transmission help