Towing 79 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Default Towing 79 Z28

A few questions....one do you think my 2WD 07 Trail Blazer can pull a 79 Z28 from Ohio to North Carolina? I have to go thru a ton of mountains in West Virginia but other than that its not to bad...just done know.

The main question is can i pull it on a 2 wheel dolly with the car in neutral or should i rent a large trailer and put the whole car on it?
What is the proper way?

Any help would be appreciated....Thanks!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

your trail blazer should be able to pull it ive driven from ohio to sc so i know the rds going south isnt bad mtns wise i recommend you get a 4 wheel dolly and tell them your pulling a miata (they only weigh like 2000 lbs) odds are uhaul wont let you tow the camaro with your truck because of weight

Old 08-01-2011, 09:06 AM

Ha...ok. I was thinking it would pull easier with a 2 wheel but you think a full size trailer hu? Did you pull it with a Trailblazer? It say it has a 6500lb towing capacity, that should be plenty right?

How much does the camaro weight?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The Camaro weighs around 3500 lbs. and your Blazer should pull it. I would use a single dolly, but be sure to pull the driveline before towing it! You can't leave the driveline hooked up or it will ruin the trans towing in neutral.
You'll need a temp seal for the trans to keep from losing all the fluid once you pull the driveline. Autozone or O'reillys should have them for cheap. Just pull the driveline and stuff the seal in there quick and you wont lose but a small amount of fluid. Thenn put the driveline in the pass. compartment after taping the u joint caps in place at the rear to save them.
It will tow much easier with a single dolly.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Do you have a link to the temp seal by chance? I want to make sure i get the right thing...would any employee at Autozone know what i mean if i say i need a temp seal for the driveline on a 79 camaro?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:26 AM

Also are you saying to just pull the driveshaft out? Do i just tie it up to something under that car?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

you need to pull the driveshaft completely thats why i was saying a 4 wheel

Old 08-01-2011, 12:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

This past weekend, I pulled a '80 Trans Am almost 300 miles with my 2004 Avalanche 1500 using a Uhaul Auto Transporter (car hauler trailer). According to their rules, a dolly is only supposed to be used for FWD autos. The Avalanche has a 5.3 engine with the optional towing package but you can definitely feel the need for power in the SC Piedmont so the mountains would be somewhat more difficult. Also, the contracts indicate that you are only hauling the specified vehicle so you might be aware of liability issues there.

Alternatively, you might want to look at removing the driveshaft as previously mentioned and then towing it instead of using a trailer or dolly. I did this for a 94 Camaro from Williamsburg, VA to SC a few months back. Except for the driveshaft and a little more trouble hooking up, it towed easily. Easier than with a trailer that adds 2200 lbs of weight to be towed. Also, this does not weigh down the tow vehicle so much either.

Check connections, safety chains and lights for whichever approach you pick. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

i just towed my 81 across the cascade mountain range in WA on Thursday. I used the trailer and i had a 5.7l tundra pulling it. i told the people at uhaul i was pulling a kia rio. It went pretty smooth the whole way. I think you'll be fine but if you do get the trailer, just remember that is an extra 1000lbs you'll be towing.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 AM

Yea i think im going to take out the drive shaft and pull it on a 2 wheel dolly. Thanks for the info from everybody. Sounds like i shouldnt have any problems. I just dont want my brakes to catch on fire and give out going down a 5% grade hill.....

Quick Reply: Towing 79 Z28