those Dang Doors!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default those Dang Doors!!

Hey guys, my 77 got new quarters last winter and we did the best we could while we realigned the doors to them well theres a crappy gap at the bottom and it seems like ti can be fixed and since this is the second gen forum we all have the same 100 pound doors!! anyone have any idea on how to straighten them out.. also my passenger door opens and closes beautifully but my drivers door is just a plain old pain in the *** to open and close when i slam it it doesnt close far enough when i slam it REALLY hard it goes in far enough but i dont like have to slam doors!!!! so would it just be the door latch assemlby that needs re lubing or replacing? i have tried lubing up the hinges and the door latch and the striker and all the parts that come in contact and both doors have a new set of hinge pins and bushings- Any Help is MUCH appreciated!!

Old 07-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Default RE: those Dang Doors!!

try and adjust your striker and if you can get ahold of a door adjusting bar that would help alot.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Unless you've rebuilt the hinges, the problem is not the striker. That 200lb door tears the bushings out of the hinges. The drivers door gets more use which is why it's torn out.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah i did put in a complete set for both doors on all 4 hinges have been rebuilt so it should be fine well heres the kicker... so i realigned the latch and i closed it it closed fine but still not in all the way... i then slammed it hard again and now i cant even get it open at all so ... what to do now?!! nothing came unhooked it just wont open!

Old 07-29-2007, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

bummer....you will need to pull the inside door panel...get a light and screw driver and pop the latchopen from inside...the outside handle doesn't pull the lever on the latch mechanism all the way...have someone lift up on the outside handle and try to move the arm on the mechanism a little more while pushing on the door. it should pop open.......

sounds like thedoor latch assy is bad....they do wear out and usually it is the drivers side that goes out first. Save yourself the hassle and spring for a new latch…they are pricey but it’s one of those things you just need to replace with a new one…

I replaced the outside handle, lock pin and latch all at the same time….

Also if your front fenders are sagging at the bottom, check the body mount bushings up by the radiator. if they are shot, the nose can sag down and things get out of whack....

G