is there a way to stop the squealing sound when wet?..

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: is there a way to stop the squealing sound when wet?..

New belts stretch and need to be readjusted after some use. Also make sure you have the proper type of belt. I had a car that would throw belts until I finally got a belt from the dealer, and that belt lasted a good 70 K miles.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

well i tightened my drive belt and noticed that after tightening the belt and then turning it on, the alternator slipped back a little and loosened the belt again..i thought it was cuz the washer was small and maybe didnt get a good grip so i got a bigger one and put it on and it still is making the noise but not as bad..my water pump is also making some noise too

Old 10-12-2008, 04:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

what do you think i should do to keep the alternator in its place?

Old 10-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Are you tightening both upper and lower alternator bolts good enough? When they're tightened well, the alternator won't slip black. And be careful not to strip out the upper alternator threads. Being aluminum, it can strip out over time, but you should still be able to get it good and tight.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah im tightening both bolts pretty tight. i tightened it again yesterday and when i revved it, i dont think it made a noise but i will see here soon when i take it for a little test drive.. do you think i should replace my water pump if its making noise?

i also noticed some dripping from one of my flowmaster mufflers..it smelled sweet kinda like antifreeze but im pretty sure theres no way it could be antifreeze. what do you think it could be?

Old 10-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: jason7504
1) do you think i should replace my water pump if its making noise?
2) i also noticed some dripping from one of my flowmaster mufflers..it smelled sweet kinda like antifreeze but im pretty sure theres no way it could be antifreeze. what do you think it could be?
1) If your water pump is making a noise, it wouldn't be a squeal (your earlier description), it would sound more like a groan. Usually when a pump goes bad, it's because the bearings are shot.
2) If it looks clear, then it's just moisture. If the car sits more than it's driven, moisture will build up in the exhaust system, and blow/steam out as it heats up. It's normal, but since moisture causes rust, it isn't the best thing for the exhaust system.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

well when i drove my car today, it didnt make any squealing so i think i fixed that. but my cousin was over the other day and said my water pump was making a noise.

ok then its probably just moisture. but its not coming from the tailpipe but from the actual muffler.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you think the water pump may be making noise, just keep an eye on it. When they go bad, they start to leak coolant out the "weep hole", bottom side of the pump near where the snout tapers into the base.
Some mufflers do have a hole or a small slot in them for moisture to dribble out of. That's probably what you're seeing, unless it's leaking between the muffler and pipe.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

ok i will keep an eye on it..ok i will see if that hole is on both mufflers...

Old 10-15-2008, 05:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

dang the squeak/rattle sound is back!! i thought i fixed it because it stopped for a day but today it started up again after sitting all day yesterday..my alt must have slipped back again..do you think i should maybe get new adjusting bolts or something?

Quick Reply: is there a way to stop the squealing sound when wet?..