Is there an electrician in the house?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:03 AM
Default Is there an electrician in the house?

Hi everyone,

So I have this idea for modifying an old 8-track player, but need some advice. What I want to do is enable connectivity from my iphone (or any bluetooth enabled phone) to the 8 track by hooking up a small bluetooth device inside the 8 track (or somewhere under my dash). Thus allowing me to listen to my music, make calls through cars sound system, and keep that kickass 8 track player look.

I'm thinking i might be able to do this if I connect the audio connections from the bluetooth set, to the leads from the playback head of the player. Then I would just place the microphone and bluetooth controls in an accessible and inconspicuous area.

So what do guys think? I really need some suggestion as to where I should hookup the audio inside the 8 track, so if you guys know of a better way to do this or have any suggestion please let me know. I'll try and get this thing done within a month and post up my results.

Thanks,
Worm

Old 03-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Overdrive Member

Um.... First off lemme ask if you have consumed too much of something that makes humans hallucinate?

Second you are trying to combine 2 technologies that are almost 60 years apart and the compatibility of them will be far from compatable.

Lets look at the 8 track player. This device was developed durring WWII It is an analog device that reads magnetic signatures off 8 separate "tracks" on a tape through a magnetic pickup or head. This is then amplified, mixed, amplified again and then sent to the speakers as sound we can hear.

Bluetooth:
Digital aparatus using transmission protocols and pairing technologies developed in the early turn of the century. It takes data in digital form from one device and securely sends it to another device that the first unit is paired with. This data can be just about anything. If this data is music then a decoder will turn the digital signals of the music into analog signals that can be transmitted through speakers for us to hear.

All and all I dont think you will be able to successfully combine technologies that are almost 60 years apart successfully with out completely engineering one of them out of its design decade.

Now what you want to do is not impossible but you need to kick the idea of integrating the modern into the ancient. Alot of people want the modern tech but dont want to lose the nestalgic look of a classic car. You seem to me like one of those guys. There are single DIN modern decks that have bluetooth and call through built into them. Find one you like and can afford. Mount said deck in a hidden location somewhere in the car, like the glove box. This allows you to keep the look of that groovy 8 track but the modern utilities you want to have.

Massey

Old 03-22-2011, 01:19 AM
Overdrive Member

LOL second gens have the worst designed glove box ever. No way your mounting anything there. Center console maybe. Maybe find something you can disassemble and mount inside the 8 track case. Honestly it would be gusty to use the 8 track daily like it was new. As my memory goes even after a few years they were famous for eating the tape. Now fast forward, way forward to a time when you can't replace that 8 track. What do you do then? Maybe just install it with the stock two knobber and stash the bluetooth in the center console with your weed.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Just stuff a new CD player in the glovebox and forget the 8 track for anything but show.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 AM
2nd Gear member

the glove box is made of cardboard. Just take it out make a new box that fits your stereo. Get one with a remote and you wont even need to open the glove box.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 03-22-2011, 12:54 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses so far. I know there are much easier ways to accomplish what I am trying to do (ie. modern head unit, rf modulator, etc.), but I'm just doing this for fun. In all I think I might spend about $20 if i get this thing running. Grated I might spend a few hours tinkering and trying to get it running correctly but who doesn't like spending their weekend working on their car.

I really don't think getting the bluetooth to work with the 8 track is a difficult task because I am not trying to get the unit to decode the digital signal from the bluetooth. All I am trying to do is get the analog signal going to the speaker in the bluetooth , run it to my 8 track, and let the 8 track amplify that signal so I can hear it trough my cars speaker.

-Worm