temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default temp gauge

I have been chasing a temperature issue on my 1980 camaro, V8 305, I have flushed and put a new thermostat in it. I replace the temp sensor and it was still showing hot. I put a mechanical gauge on it and it read in the 190 range(I put a 180 thermo in it). I would like to have the stock gauge work. Could I have gotten a bad sender? I am running headers but the mechanical is working fine. I thought about another sensor and the wire, but can not find the wire in a store. Any help would be great........1SG

Old 07-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Droid

Unless the gauge is maxed out all the time, which means the wire may be shorted to ground, a different wire won't change anything. Just put in a new a new sender & see how it works.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Overdrive Member

A laser thermometer on the gooseneck can tell you if your in the ball park. Honestly, 190* on a 180* stat isn't bad in the heat wave the whole country is enduring right now. It should run 180* but I wouldn't stress it. I prefer 190* actually.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:01 AM
1st Gear Member

the 190-200 was with the aftermarket gauge, I would like to have my stock gauge read the right temp. I will try another sensor, I guess it is possible I got a bad one? I thought maybe the headers were making it hot, but the aftermarket one is working fine........1SG

Old 07-24-2011, 10:03 AM
2nd Gear member

I've found that if too much thread sealant is used, it can cause gauge accuracy problems. I would lean more toward a contact issue in the gauge cluster or a faulty gauge. You'll know if the sender dose not cure the problem.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I hate to say this but your temp problem could be a clogged radiator. Over the years sediment will clog the passages in the radiator reducing it's ability to cool. Drain your radiator down and look down the inside to check for blockage. The new single large passage radiator worked real well on my sons 79 with 350.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

If the radiator has never been changed it's been in the car for 31 years, most likely rarely having the coolant flushed or replaced. If the PO didn't use distilled water all of the minerals from tap water have clogged your system. I was told one time that 1/6" of scale in a cooling system is the equivalent of 4" of cast iron.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Droid

FYI. The porpose of the thermostat is allow the engine to warm up quickly, not to to keep the engine from overheating. The temp rating on a thermostat is the temperature at which the thermostat starts to open, not the temperature that the thermostat will hold. Typically, the stat will be fully open at aproximately 10 degrees above the rated temp. So a stat rated at 180, will begin to open at 180, and be fully open at 190. Once the stat is fully open its job is done, and it is up to the fans, water pump, and radiator to hold the temp. The stat also acts as a restrictor to keep the water flom flowing too fast and failing to remove heat.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Overdrive Member

^^^ I agree totally.^^^ Maybe you go a sending unit for a car with idiot lights. They are different then the U14 gauges.

I had a 350 in my pickup. Not a work truck, more like a drag truck. I had to put a restricter in it to slow the water down. With out it I ran way too hot.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:56 PM
1st Gear Member

UPDATE, I took the manual gauge off and reconnected the stock style sensor and bam......hot again, I have used two different sensors now, so I think I should be the wire? the gauge or the sensor all over again. I may hook up the manual as an extra up on the intake for my own sake, I have an alignment appointment next week so I will be able to drive the old gal finally, I thank all of you for your suggestions and if you have any more ideas let me know........1SG

Quick Reply: temp gauge