Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Default Suspension Questions

I am new to the musclecar scene and I do not understand some things about the suspension. I own a 77 and I have plans to upgrade my suspension this winter. I want to upgrade my shocks with either KYB gas-a-just or the edelbrock IAS. Which do you guys recommend, I heard somewhere that the KYB"s are not set right for our cars. CAn anyone recommend any brands for springs and leafsprings to upgrade? Also what do the control arms and tie rods do? Do they need to be upgraded as well? What are your recommendations for bushings? I am looking for a street driven/road racing setup, I don't want something that I do not want to drive everyday. ANy help would be appreciated

Old 09-06-2007, 08:31 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Suspension Questions

sport springs that drop the car a little are a good start, as are bilstein shocks. for a road race setup, replace the A-arms, and put in aftermarket swaybars. look into subframe connectors andtraction bars or a four-link setup. with the drop, you may need to tub the rear wheelwells, and replace the inner fenders

Old 09-07-2007, 11:01 AM

What shocks are better KYB's or Edelbrock's?

Old 09-07-2007, 11:14 AM
2nd Gear member

I would say KYB, but as I said above, Bilsten makes simply the best shocks on the market, period. Both KYB and Edelbrock are an improvment over stock, but are not overall as good as the Bilsteins

Old 09-10-2007, 12:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I just put Edelbrock IAS Classics on mine and no complaints, great upgrade. You wont be sorry.
As far as bushings, I used polygraphite except on the control arms where I stayed with rubber to eliminate binding ans squeaks.
I stayed stock with the springs and got Eatons from NPD.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

as far as the tie rods and control arms, you shouldn't need to upgrade them because no matter what there gunna hold up unless there like extremley old, then i deffinetly recommend replacing them, another way to tell if you need to replace them is to get a firm grip on it and try to move it, if it doesn't move than your good, i you have play in them, replace them as soon as possible, if you do replace them, make sure that they have grease fittings on them before you purchase anything, the ones that don't have the grease fittings tend to go dry a lot faster than ones that do, but ones that di have them can just be greased but for the other ones, you have no other choice but to replace them cuz there no good, as far as bushings, always go with poly-urithane bushings, there is nothing out there that i have had better experience with, but good luck with everything, any other questions, just pm me.