suggestions on removing broken header bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default suggestions on removing broken header bolt

found my exhaust leak, didnt want to go too tight for the fact the bolt could break, and of course it did. cant get a set of pliers around it, i drilled a hole in the center, tried using an extractor, and nothing will get the bolt out. any suggestions?

Old 02-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

drill it all the way and retap it. i just recently had the same thing happen. or, soak the hell out of it with PB blaster and use a bigger extractor...not the cheapo reverse drill bit type. i used the professional kind you hammer in and wrench out. either way has worked for me (i had 2 snap and tried both ways)

this is the one i used- http://compare.ebay.com/like/2906712..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y

Old 02-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I'd guess if it didn't come out with an extractor that it was probably too long and bottomed out. If the hole you drilled is centered then I'd start drilling it progressively larger and make sure you also drill it deep enough to get near the end of the bolt. Eventually it will get loose as there's less bolt to allow it to relax.
I have lefthand drill bits for this, and often the bolt will unscrew itself as I work up in size. A little heat with a propane torch before using the easy outs might also relieve pressure and allow it to move too.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Take a well sharpened center punch, and get the tip dug straight in on the left half of the bolt with a couple whacks of a hammer. Then hold the punch up at a slight angle and hit it with the hammer again to try and spin the bolt out. Penetrating oil and a propane torch could be your friend here too.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

tried the left handed drill bits the best i could, just have no room to go straight into the bolt. also tried the center punch, it just wont go. took abit more of the screw out by breaking it but its still in there. the extractor's just won't go in far enough and get tight no matter what size i use. i really dont want to take the head off to fix it. going to try alittle more tomorrow then go from there.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

How much more swinging room do you need to get straight in with a drill? Would removing the motor mount cross bolt and lifting up the drivers side of the engine give you enough?
Or, do you know anybody who has a right-angle drill? Or, didn't you always wish you had a right-angle drill?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I was actually just looking them up online, going to pick one up tomorrow and try to get this bolt out. I'll post back with results if it works.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Hardly ever use my right angle drill, but when I need it I sure am glad I have it!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

got the angle drill, only got to drill alittle then battery died on me, but the bolt is chipping away more not making much progress. going to try alittle more then look for another solution. might have to take the head off or even get another one. can't things ever just go right? damn headers

Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

spent a couple of hours, and money on bits, broke a couple, got a hole completely threw the center of the bolt. got an extractor in there, i didnt want to turn too much for the fact it could break, and of course IT DID, now a part of the extractor in stuck in the bolt. dammit.

i spent alot on my carb and exhaust and other crap for the car, have no money for heads. while i was sitting in the garage pissed thinking of ways around this. i thought about doubling up the center port on the headers with 2 gaskets and tightening the other remaining 5 bolts. yes i know how this sounds but it looks to have a seal now. am i completey stupid for even thinking this or could it actually work and be driveable untill i do get money for a new set of heads?

Quick Reply: suggestions on removing broken header bolt