speedo cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:06 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default speedo cable

ok as you probably figured out form the subject of the thread .I am having problems with my speedometer not working ,i have been told to buy pass my cruise control box and go straight off of the tranny to the speedometer...so my ? is will this work?plus my rpm gauge is not working and suggestions on getting that working too...any addvice would be helpfull
thank you

Old 03-27-2008, 12:17 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: speedo cable

yes that will work fine, if that's where the problem lies. probably a better chance of the end going into the tranny broke off though. it just unscrews and you can do that in about two minutes to see if that's the problem. there are a lot of other things it could be though also.

as tar as your tach goes, never overlook the simple things. if it was working and just stopped (because you were doing work under the hood recently, right?) make sure it got plugged back into the distributor all the way. someone could have put it back on and not clicked it in all the way, so it could have fallen out

Old 03-27-2008, 04:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok i put a new speedo cable on from tranny to cruise control box still didnt fix the problem...when i bought the car nether gages where working : ( ya there is nothing pluged into the distributer i will have to figure that one out...thank you for the imfo : )

Old 03-27-2008, 10:55 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

now disconnect the speedo cable and find the hole in the firewall ,stick it in there and find the end of it and connect it up to the speedometer.if it dont work with the new cable,it almost has to be the gage itself.my speedo was acting vary eratic so i got the gage out of the car and sprayed everything that moved and i rotated the speedo by hand to work the silicone spray in real good.let it drip drie for a little bit.my speedo works fine now except its off 15mph fast,thats a easy fix ,just change the gear in the tranny

Old 04-03-2008, 07:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ok if i disconnect the speedo cable coming from the speedometer to the cruise control and hook a drill up to it the speedometer moves ...but hooking new cable to it didnt do a thing ...know what would be my next step[&o].my rpm it still not working and everything is hooked up right check fuses changed that one just to be on safe side and rpmstarts to climwhen cars off..i think its alot of my wiring.theres alot of wiring under my dash that has been cute or is not even hooked up: (...IM IN NEED OF HELP AT THIS PIONT...IM LOST

Old 04-03-2008, 07:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: bowtieguy

now disconnect the speedo cable and find the hole in the firewall ,stick it in there and find the end of it and connect it up to the speedometer.if it dont work with the new cable,it almost has to be the gage itself.my speedo was acting vary eratic so i got the gage out of the car and sprayed everything that moved and i rotated the speedo by hand to work the silicone spray in real good.let it drip drie for a little bit.my speedo works fine now except its off 15mph fast,thats a easy fix ,just change the gear in the tranny
How would I change the gear in the tranny and what is it called so i know what to buy : )Im so sorry for being clueless to this but your help is very appreciated..
thank you
angie

Old 04-03-2008, 11:50 AM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you have to unhook the cable that comes from the tranny to cruise control and hook it up to the speedometer.your going to bypass the cruise control.unhook the little cable from the speedometer and from the cruise control ,if i remember right you will have to find another cable for a car without cruise control because the cable for cruise control has threaded nuts on both ends and the ends are different and wont hook up to the speedometer.you need a cable that has the threaded nut on one end and the correct end to hook into the speedometer.as far as the gear goes its called a speedometer gear.is it a 350 turbo

Old 04-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Before you go through all the work of by-passing the cruise unit, you should verify that the cable is spinning coming out of the trans. It's possible that the driven speedo gear, or drive (ring) speedo gear could have chewed off some teeth. It's also possible that the drive speedo gear could have slipped back on the output shaft of the trans. It's only held in place with a steel spring clip, and they have been known to come loose before. Disconnect the cable coming from the trans to the cruise control (at the cruise control unit) and try to give the internal cable a spin by hand. If the speedo gears are still connected inside the trans, you won't be able to spin it. If the cable free-wheels, your problem is with the speedo gears.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yes its a 350 turbo...didnt know that about the cable thank you i will see what i can do know...ill let you know : )
thank you

Old 04-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Timing is everything, our two posts almost overlapped each other. Be sure to read my response above.

Quick Reply: speedo cable