'Special' Heater Backing Plate for '81 Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 12:09 AM
Default 'Special' Heater Backing Plate for '81 Camaro?

Hey everyone... Ill give you the full story.

So the heater core bit the dust about a month or 2 ago, puking coolant all over the passenger floor carpet... I replaced it. But a week later the blower motor started clicking at any speed other than high. I thought it was something maybe in the squirrel cage so I opened up everything once more and couldn't find anything wrong with it, so I decided since I have it again, disassembled to put all new parts in it, which included a new blower motor, squirrel cage, resistor, etc, etc. (After I replaced everything I had no clicking sound and heat coming out of places I didn't even know heat could come out of in the car. )

Now here is where it gets stupid. When I opened the dash up for the second time, I needed to get at the heater control sliders. I take out the dash, remove the heater controls and find out that someone before me broke some of the plastic screw threads clean off and decided to glue the screws in place so that they would hold... So again, off I go to find parts. I find, what I thought at the time was the perfect NEW heater backing plate for my 1981 Camaro Non A/C car through FBodyWarehouse. I order it, it arrives and I find out that the metal piece that the sliders are guided on fits inside but doesn't secure to the new backing plate properly. It's like a 1/4" lower being of this plastic tab in the way.

I have included pictures to show you guys what i'm up against.

In simple terms: the backing plate that I have in my car, if you turn it around so that your facing the back of the injection molded piece and you put the new piece beside it, you should instantly be able to tell and compare the differences between. If you look at the piece from my car you can see how there is a plastic tab on the top and then a hole for the slider where the metal sits and then another hold for the bottom slider and then another tab... But on the new piece the first tab is in the way for the metal slider to sit properly...

"Supposedly" it is the same as the original, and I believe that because no matter where I look, new or old (Off Camaro Cental even down to used on eBay) I find the exact same backing plate. So I don't know why my Camaro is unique in a annoying way.

If anyone knows any info,is possibly selling that piece by chance or know where I can get that exact piece used please let me know.

If you want more info, have questions or want more pictures. Just tell me.

Thank you all.

PS. I got in contact with the main guy at FBodyWarehouse (where I bought the new plate) and he said that he will try and get in contact with a buddy of his to find maybe a used plate or even a metal slider that will work for the new backing piece. Hopefully he gets in contact with me soon.

Attached Thumbnails 'Special' Heater Backing Plate for '81 Camaro?-img_68382.jpg   'Special' Heater Backing Plate for '81 Camaro?-img_68392.jpg   'Special' Heater Backing Plate for '81 Camaro?-img_68412.jpg   'Special' Heater Backing Plate for '81 Camaro?-img_68422.jpg   'Special' Heater Backing Plate for '81 Camaro?-img_68462.jpg  

Old 03-05-2016, 12:11 AM

Here is a Youtube video of me explaining the problem because the guy from FBodyWarehouse said it may help.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Just saw that part being made,figures it's lame. I'd get out a razor blade and a propane torch,heat the blade some and it will cut quick. Trim to fit!