Setting Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 02:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Setting Speedometer

The odometer in my car now is counting miles the same for if i was traveling at 10 mph or as if i was going 70 mph. I got a replacement for it and am now having to run the mil btes up on it, I tried with a drill gun but it would take countless hours to move it up 70k miles. Anyone know how to solve this little problem im in?

Oh by the way, I have the face off the all he gauges now and don't see any screws in the front of the speedometer but see 2 of them on the back of it, and on the new speedometer i have in my hand here has 2 screw slots in it. Are those the only 2 screws holding the speedometer in place on the panel with the rest of the gauges.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:24 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is there a brand name on the unit that u can do a search with. what yr and model camaro?

Old 05-23-2009, 03:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Actually just replaced it, it was 2 screws in the back of the speedometer. But the speedometer itself still acts funny, im going to have to replace the cable to the transmission itself. There was a spare one that came with the car when i bought it, so thats the next step to get this right.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if u have the brand name then get ahold of them and ask them if theres a easy way to adjust the odometer. yep a worn cable will make it jump around and do funny stuff.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you know what you're going, you can remove the odometer portion from the speedo body and move the numbers around to where you want them.
Uhhhh...I never said I ever did that before though, yeah that's it!
There is a metal spacer ring between each number wheel that has a tab that sticks out. Those tabs fit onto the body of the speedo which keeps the wheels from spinning out of place.
Be careful though, there is also a brittle plastic "keeper" that is slid over the tabs to keep them in place until the odometer assembly is put back in.
I won't tell if you don't!

Old 05-23-2009, 06:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Im not 100% sure, but does the cable go directly from the transmission to the speedo, or does it go to the cruise and another cable goes to the speedo?

Old 05-24-2009, 06:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

I know that my speedo goes straight to the rear transmission housing. Are you running an electronic setup with an electronic sender in the rear of the transmission? Is everything stock? What type of transmission do you have? Do you have cruise control (and if so is it stock)? Is the speedo unit an aftermarket "stock" replacement?

Old 05-25-2009, 02:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The cable i replaced runs from the rear of the trans into the cruise module, (or whatever its called) and another cable runs from that to the speedo. After replacing it the speedo has straightened out and doesn't like to run all over the place. So hopefully that will clear up some problems for the time. Yet, it seems like once i fix a problem another one arises to take its place. Always work to be done...

Old 05-27-2009, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion
Yet, it seems like once i fix a problem another one arises to take its place. Always work to be done...

Yeah I was out a couple weeks ago and the speedo cable was making noise, then the needle fell off of the speedometer!!

Not sure what the "fix" is.....replace it??? Bummer!!

Old 06-01-2009, 01:34 AM

There is a metal spacer ring between each number wheel that has a tab that sticks out. Those tabs fit onto the body of the speedo which keeps the wheels from spinning out of place.
Be careful though, there is also a brittle plastic "keeper" that is slid over the tabs to keep them in place until the odometer assembly is put back in.
I won't tell if you don't!

Last edited by cplthomas; 06-05-2009 at 12:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Setting Speedometer