The RustBucket is truly rusted out

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Default The RustBucket is truly rusted out

Ok well I started to pull the T-tops, front windshield, weather stripping, headliner and all of those goodies out of the car. I was assuming that since the trunk, dash, firewall, subframe and all of that were pretty much rust free that only the floorpans were rusted. Apparently not. My spidey since didnt tingle enough to realize that the whole top half of the car is pretty much rotted!!! I don't know what to do here?? Should I just junk the car and keep what I can salvage? The roof is not too terrible but there are a few spots that are rotted out and I am no expert welder. The part that I am worried about the most is the b-pillar on the drivers door and the drivers side t-top frame. I got a good subframe, a good rear end, a 350 motor and th350 tranny and it only cost 600 dollars. Should I scrap the rest of the car and call it a day?

Old 07-06-2010, 08:51 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

do not scrap at all..... plz lol. i cant stand to see even the crapiest camaro go to scrap. seriously someone can use it if you can't. i would keep it all, maybe just find another shell but deff. don't scrap it. even though i have 4 already i would take it off your hands if you werent up to repairing it (if you were close to me) lol. if the quarter panels are good just find a new roof? i also have a couple complete roofs (again if you are close to me id hook you up).

i say keep it, try and get some pics posted, and i'll tell ya for sure but odds are i will still say keep it lol.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Overdrive Member

Toss up some pics. Lets take a look. Better yet take alot of pics and give us the photobucket link. I have a rust bucket too. If your car has good rails fix the rest. I don't think this is the case from your tone though. Its worth a look.

Thanks for the quote. I said it after a kid at work wanted to show me his "custom Eclipse." Big rims and a system thats all. Oh yeah the fart can muffler. Wait until he goes for a ride in a car that is capable of over 1g on the skid pad.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:19 PM
2nd Gear member

I agree,if it looks like it is able to be repaired either keep it or sell it off to someone who can fix it.These cars are getting harder and harder to find.When i bought mine i didnt realize part of my rear passenger side frame rail was rotted out and my first thought was strip it then scrap it,but after some thought i decided to save the car from the scrap yard and get the rail fixed,it will take me some time to get it done,but in the end i will have a car that like i said is getting hard to find anymore.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:15 PM

Alright guys. I will get some pics up here soon on Photobucket. I just haven't had a whole lot of time for most things. I have a pretty busy schedule being in the Army my day starts at 5 am and ends between 4-6 pm. I am in central Texas if that helps with location. My wife really really wants me to get another camaro and just use the salvageable parts on this one. I love the T-tops and would love to keep this one, but another thing I found out. This is kind of a bondo bomb it has bondo all down the drivers side roof around to the back of the car. Chalk it up to a first experience as I should have known this stuff, but I'm young so the oldest car I have purchased was a 1990. So the cars I have owned didn't have much in the way of rust and were not in need of restoration. Thanks for all the help guys. I am so glad the internet is here to help.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I guess I'll be the only one to disagree. I'd salvage whatever you can use and find a better Camaro to build from. Yes, they are getting harder to find, but not that hard to find, and you can still get one reasonably.
Rust buckets are a dime a dozen and I'd be happy to buy one for the running gear at $600 and scrap what I couldn't use. Makes the rest of our's more valuable!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:00 AM
2nd Gear member

yeah... my camaro has some problems... thought about geting one with better paint on it and or a 350 and or a working trans but yeah know. id rather bring my hunka junk back and have it be mine and have one more living than go out for 1500$ get a running one salvage what i can sell the rest and forget about her. it just makes them cooler. but in all reality my car is not a rust rust bucket just a few lill problem areas like drivers side floor pan and one area under a fender that is still good just pitted i sealed up today so its all ok

Old 07-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Overdrive Member

Fort Hood? My buddy brought my old Nova back from down there. How did you get the only rusted Camaro in Texas? I know there are good parts cars down there.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:20 PM

I dont know man. It's rusted to hell and back though. I thought I was gonna be able to get my pics on here tonight, but I have to spend the night doing a drivers course for exceeding the speed limit in my Mustang. It's the second time I have ever been pulled over in my life and I got a ticket. Of course the cop had every reason since I was doing 90, but it was on an open highway with safe conditions. Everyone gets caught doing the wrong thing at just the right time. At least the ticket wont go on my driving record and kill my insurance premiums. I'll update with pics soon, if not tomorrow, over the weekend...

Old 07-08-2010, 01:34 AM
Overdrive Member

Hey here is a guy in Houston parting one out. http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189739 Maybe the shell is good. The sub frame is missing though.

Quick Reply: The RustBucket is truly rusted out