Replacing subframe for a BBC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
your going to have to do some major reinforcing with the bb, that torque can cause some damage.

Last edited by A2TURBO; 09-22-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 77nomad
I own a set of the weld in ones like the ones you posted. Wanna know why they aren't in a car? Be Comp Engineering (yeah right engineering) designed them to only work with their own rear frame replacements. And those require you to narrow the tank. AND the SFC must be run through the floor of the car. AND relocate the front of the spring to bolt into the connector. Easy driveway project right? If you tracked back to my very first poet here, you would find me asking if anyone had ever do this. I have yet to find ANYONE who has done it. I have seen a pic or two that others have found on the net. But no one that can tell me what happened. Honestly I want to use them because they move the spring eye over and I could fit bigger rubber along with the mini tub. That would save hundreds.
Yikes, glad I got the heads up. I would have LOST it. Do you have a different brand on the car or...?

Old 09-24-2012, 02:32 AM
Overdrive Member

The ones I have are from a company who I can no longer recommend due to their inability to ship parts on time. They don't keep you informed well either. I know of one person waiting a year for parts. So the next best is Alston Race Cars PN 102412. They fit as close to the floor as anything out and the price is good. Alston Racing

These guys build great cars too. Check there site out.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:11 AM
2nd Gear member

In regards to SFCs, i cant comment on the ones Damon is talking about but if you can hold off a little bit i will let you know how the Hotchkis ones are. I want to install them soon but i keep running into other issues on the build that seem to slow me down.

The price seems a bit high on my Hotchkis but they are already in the shop so thats the route im going. Similar build too with my BBC.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:12 AM
Overdrive Member

Yours are a weld in deal though, aren't they? I know the Detroit Speed ones do. I thought Hotchkis did too.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes

We have Global West Connectors on our camaro, with a big block, yeah, they had to be welded in and partially come thru the floor, but look at some of the pictures in my garage and you'll see the car comes off the ground with both wheels even, no twisting. Its up to you however on which way you go, good luck with the project.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:17 PM
2nd Gear member

I havent read the install instructions for a long time but i believe they are bolt in with the option to weld.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Sweet, this is good. Last question to end this with, do they go on before or after the BBC goes in? Thanks.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Overdrive Member

This is an important question. I'm glad you asked. My SFC didn't come with instructions. So the car must have ALL the weight on the WHEELS when they go in. So guys go as dfar as 200lbs in the drivers seat. This is to get the body where it needs to be. If you installed them with the car up on jack stands you literally could turn it into a banana. The floor pan flexes ( thats why we stiffen) so I would either build cribs out of 12" pieces of 2x4's. Or set it up on ramps in the front and jack stands under the axle. Or four ramps if you have them.

I actually will build cribs for my car soon.
Detroit Speed, Inc. - Projects - S.W. & Jonah's 1973 Trans Am

Old 09-29-2012, 12:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 77nomad
This is an important question. I'm glad you asked. My SFC didn't come with instructions. So the car must have ALL the weight on the WHEELS when they go in. So guys go as dfar as 200lbs in the drivers seat. This is to get the body where it needs to be. If you installed them with the car up on jack stands you literally could turn it into a banana. The floor pan flexes ( thats why we stiffen) so I would either build cribs out of 12" pieces of 2x4's. Or set it up on ramps in the front and jack stands under the axle. Or four ramps if you have them.

I actually will build cribs for my car soon.
Detroit Speed, Inc. - Projects - S.W. & Jonah's 1973 Trans Am
But my car is going to keep it's passenger seats and back seats. People will be in it. Is that going to be a problem? Will I need to put weight in the other seats too? Maybe it's a silly question but better safe than sorry.

Edit: Passenger seat*. Pretty sure every car only has one passenger seat..

Quick Reply: Replacing subframe for a BBC?