rear window defroster???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default rear window defroster???

so today we had our first official rain in LA,
and well what can i say i don't have a rear window defroster and i couldn't see anything, my 1/2 hour drive was based only on the the part of the front window i could see but that was it,
my car didn't have a defroster and i wanted to put one on, is it posible? has anyone done it? can you recomend any brands?

Old 11-27-2008, 11:06 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: rear window defroster???

Ive seen some kits before sold at our local swap meets...I havent relly looked at them...although as winter is coming along Im really wanting one myself! I'll keep my eye out for them in catalogs and such...I'l let yah kno if I spot em...

Old 11-28-2008, 06:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

certain 2nd gen cars came with them and they were a little blower deal that blew air up onto the rear window. They're semi-hard to come by and in the past year I've only seen two sold on Ebay and none at the local swaps.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Are there any kits that you can jus run those heated stripes across the back>?

Old 12-14-2008, 02:09 PM

the problem with rear window defrosters, like kyphur mentioned,is most 2nd gen camaro's didn't even have vents and blowerinstalled for rear defrosters, so the thermal stripes you see on most cars would be rendered useless without those vents.

a little trick i use on my civic for making the a/c reach my passengers in the back is setting the fan for re-circulating air, then pointing all the vents on the dash upward. that way, all the air travels upwards and over, towards everyone in the back. if you have a heater in your camaro, you can try and do the same thing. hopfully the traveiling heat can reach the rear window.

another trick (which is pretty brutal but it works) is to just open the windows. all the moisture causing the windows to fog up will leave and eventually the windows will clear up. like i said, it's pretty brutal since you have to deal with the cold, but thats what jackets are for haha

i've driven my 74 on cold, rainy days before; the previous owner wanted to take the a/c off, but he decided to be smart and took out the entire housing that holds the heater's blower motor as well, so now the car has no a/c and heater LOL -_- but suprisingly enough the front defroster somewhat works, using the engine's heat to go through the vents. as for the rear window, theres no defroster for that on mine either; i just rely on my rear/sideview mirrors and the assumption that the average american driver is smart enough to have their headlights on during rainy/foggy days.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I feel your pain on that one...I was jus tryin to be lazy and see if there was a easier way to do it...lol
Thank god I talked my parents into letting me have one side of the garage...lol

Old 12-14-2008, 03:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I think the later second gens came with the little heater strips on the rear window. It runs off a 12volt connection if I'm not mistaken and could easily be wired up to a rocker switch or something. You just have to find a donor car to do it with and good luck on that.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

hmm Im the latest 2nd Gen...Man I got screwed out of that deal...lol

Old 12-14-2008, 03:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ha ha, yeah, I'm just saying for something like that for me it's pointless since my back glass is squared (70 - 74) rather than the wrap around (75 - 81). With your year in the later second gens you can possibly find a donor car with the wrap around window that has the electric defroster.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

yah I se what yah mean...I can only hope...lol

Quick Reply: rear window defroster???