ratchet shifters

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default ratchet shifters

It's time to rebuild my transmission and i found a place that will do it for 1500 and it comes with a 3 year 50,000mi warranty. They will be using performance clutches and all that good upgraded stuff. I also wanted to get a ratchet shifter for the car and i found two of them that are "direct fit".

I was wondering if anyone has one or recommends one over the other. One is a B&M megashifter and the other is a B&M Quick Silver.
Here are the links:
B&M 80694 - B&M Megashifters - Overview - SummitRacing.com
B&M 80688 - B&M QuickSilver Shifters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Also, if anyone has tips or any advice with concerns to parts that go in the trans feel free to share them. I'm trying to do this right the first and last time.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:18 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

for what its worth, I have the B&M megashifter on my th400 in my 4th gen camaro and love it.

Name:  IMG00150-1.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  58.9 KB

Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by petes67bird
Hi,
1500 seems a bit steep, did you shop around? I know out by me I recieved a quote for a rebuild which included installing a reverse manual valve body for about 850-900 with a 1yr 12k miles warranty. Depends on if you feel the warranty is a need and if it is worth the extra money to you. I would find out what gears they use as well, there are many "performance" gears and all are not equal. For that price, they better be top of the line. I love the quiksilver, it has been on my 1965 DOdge Coronet 500 that I drove and also now going on my 1980 Z28. Good luck, Pete
There aren't any gear changes in a transmission rebuild unless its a th400 or maybe a powerglide then you have an option for that. The performance parts would be upgraded clutches and band, forward and direct clutch pistons machined to hold an extra friction and either getting a hardened intermediate sprag race, and a valve body mod. Also I would check and see if they are going to put a deep pan on it as well.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

as far as clutches go i think i remember seeing something about the number of splines? i think i remember seeing some with 10 and some with 32. Is that something i will need to match with what is already in my trans or can those be interchanged? I was going to buy a deep finned pan for it also i heard that helps out a lot with the heat. trans coolers are also pretty inexpensive so i figured i'll throw one on there too.

Cheeks, do you ever find it difficult to find gears or put it in reverse? i heard it can be tricky sometimes. I want to make sure i know as much as possible about them before my girlfriend drops 225 bucks on one lol. (its my birthday in sept.)

I'm going to talk to the guy about it tomorrow and find out exactly what he will be putting into it and i'll let you guys know to get your opinions.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:30 AM

I also have the B&M megashifter for my 79' Z28 and aside from my innate desire to turn my transmission to manual, I wouldn't trade this particular ratchet shifter for any other.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I love B&M Megashifters! The regular mode is easy to use, and finding reverse is as simple as pulling the T handle and putting it into reverse. Never had to search for it. The rachet mode is fantastic for playing around or competition, and couldn't be simpler.
I've never had the indicator hooked up since the late 70's, even with the stock shifter. Never had an issue figuring out what gear I was in with a Chevy TH trans.
I agree with the other reply; the price seems kinds crazy. I've seen full rebuilds well under $1,000 with warranty. You can probably buy a brand new TH350 for less than $1500, and still have money left over for shift kit and shifter. I paid $200 for the last one, and I see rebuilders on Craigslist offering complete rebuilds for around $500 all the time, and many of them are not at some guy's backyard. You can buy a rebuilt TH350 at Summit for under $600.
Summit Racing SUM-700300 - Summit Racing® Automatic Transmissions - Overview - SummitRacing.com

B&M Master race rebuild kit for $154:
B&M 21042 - B&M Master Racing Overhaul Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

TCI Strteetfighter $950:
TCI Auto 311000 - TCI StreetFighter Transmissions - Overview - SummitRacing.com

B&M Street/strip $950:
B&M 113001 - B&M Street and Strip Transmissions - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Lots of cheaper choices, and all with good warranties.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I am getting everything that is in the b&m trans link that you sent me. possibly better parts. Estimated Total is $1,061.90 for that with shipping. So, with that trans + 200 to take out my old one and install the new one + 200 for the shifter it will equal about the same amount.

I have found people that will rebuild my trans for roughly 700 but that is a bone stock rebuild. I am paying a little more than i probably should but i am so tired of oil and trans leaks from either the trans pan, oil pan, rear main seal, tail shaft etc. I just want it all over with and i think a place with a 3 year warranty will guarantee that.

I'm dropping the car off tomorrow morning and as soon as he tears it apart we are going to go over options. This is so stressful lol.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

ya it can be stressful, but the clutch packs have a certain number of splines that doesn't change. The intermediate sprag clutch can be changed out for a unit with more elements in it.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have no issues with it working for me, I have a standard manual valve body, so I have to shift up through 3 gears to get to reverse, but other than that, its fine.

A reverse manual will make it easier for you

Old 08-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Reverse manual is a poor choice for a street driven car. Just a lot more money you don't need to spend. Having reverse next to neutral and park is a perfect situation, as you always start the car in neutral or park, so it's one click away to go to reverse from starting the engine.

Quick Reply: ratchet shifters