Radiator leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:10 PM
August 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Radiator leak

Hi all, unfortunately the radiator on my '72Z has sprung a leak. I am trying to figure out whether I should get this repaired (if at all possible) vs. just buying a new radiator to throw in there. This car was rebuilt/restored in 2007, not by me, but by someone else. I have a lot of the paper work/receipts on this car but not everything. I can only guess that the radiator was put in the same time as the rebuild. They put in a BeCool radiator which is probably part number 60010 (I called BeCool and they said that is the only radiator they have that will fit this application) - a 355 V8 manual.

Part of the issue: the dual fan/shroud setup on the radiator does not have a name or part number on it that I have found yet, so I can't figure out what it is or who made it. I would like to keep this as it seems to be working perfectly well. This issue is the way it is mounted on the radiator apparently required some custom pieces to be welded onto the sides and the bottom. The fan mounts offered by BeCool have the screw positions at 90 degrees from the position that this fan assembly uses.

So if I bought another BeCool, I would have to have someone custom weld some mounting brackets for me onto the new radiator (which would void the warranty I assume).

My issue with voiding the warranty is that I have had one BeCool radiator leak on me once (although I haven't owned the car the entire time it has been in place either). I have also seen some complaints online about BeCool radiators leaking after a rather short period on time, anywhere from several months to several years. Assuming mine was put in in 2007, it means it lasted for almost 7 years, but in that time only 5000k miles where put on the new engine. How long/for how many miles due radiators like this last?

I have heard Griffin makes a good radiator, and this certainly could be an alternative. Unfortunately the same issue with the fan/shroud set up that I have exists and I bet I would have to have some custom work done on a Griffin radiator as well. Again, this would in all likelihood void the warranty.

What do you think?
1) Go with the same radiator because I know it fits and works well (when it isn't leaking) and just bite the bullet and have it modified to support my fans/shroud (despite voiding the warranty)?
2) Go with the same radiator, get a new fan/shroud set up that doesn't require warranty voiding modifications?
3) Go with a different companies radiator? keeping existing fans/shroud vs. getting a new one?
4) Just see if my current radiator can be repaired?
5) Any other good/reliable radiator companies that you would look at?

let me know if there is any other information that I can get that will be helpful.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I've owned several Griffin radiators and found them to be very good. I still have two of them in cars presently, and they are a great radiator. I'm not sure I'd replace the one you have unless you think it will spring another leak if this one is fixed. I'd probably contact a local radiator shop and get an estimate before making a choice as to replacement or repair.
I'd like to see what your mounting looks like also. I can't imagine there isn't a method that could be fabbed that wouldn't allow a fan shroud/fans to be mounted cleanly without welding brackets to the radiator. Every time you weld on a radiator you chance weakening it, and possibly getting another future leak.