Protecting your car - what I will do

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 05:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Protecting your car - what I will do

Hi lads,

I don't have a garage, but the car is always under a high quality cover. Every week I wash and once every two weeks I wax it. This catches attention in all the passing by neighborhood.

Yesterday it caught the attention of 4 young lads that seemed to be more interested on "what's the key like? is it easy to steal? how fast does it go? can you race with it? do you have car alarm?"... to me they looked like they wanted to steal the car to then reduce it like a piece of junk somewhere.

So I decided to upgrade my anti-theft protection / deterrent.

What I have so far is:

- Secure Gold certified stearing wheel locker
- GPS tracker hidden in the trunk (cheap model, but works like a charm, with pay as you go SIM card)

In two weeks I will also add two of these wheel clamps to the front wheels:
SAS New Defender Wheelclamp

Also, my other Corolla 1998 Estate (main car) is always parked in front of the driveway, so they should move it to to steal the Camaro.

Am I just being paranoid or what do you think? What protection do you use against your car?

It'd break my heart if anybody would rape my Camaro

Old 09-11-2011, 05:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Oh, and I forgot, if I don't use it for more than 2 days, I unplug the battery and hide it somewhere safe

Old 09-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well that last deterrent will certainly keep the car from driving away, but will also stop an alarm system from working, including the GPS, unless it's self powered.
Anyone asking a lot of questions is suspect, and whenever anyone does so you need to be very suspicious. Don't show them anything, or answer any questions specifically. You can't be rude, as they may decide to vandalize the car if they don't like you, but you can be nice and not tell them much. Or you can mislead them with info that will stop them from thinking about stealing the car.
If they ask if it's fast, just tell them the engine is pretty tired, and the running gear is starting to make noises like a bad tranny. If they ask about alarms, tell them it's state of the art with motion sensors, and Lojack.
If you're cleaning and people walk up, simply close the hood and don't let them see the engine. I get a lot of visitors when I've got one of my cars outside, and I'm always friendly, but I've had a few cars stolen, and I don't show anything to anyone. If they ask to see the engine, I usually tell them I've had some cars stolen, and I prefer to not show things to strangers. Most people understand that and leave.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:56 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Great idea guys.

Yeah I played the "the car is crap, all rusty, doesn't go over 20mph and will stop after 5 km"

I'll look around for the killswitch.

That should be enough as a deterrent