old timer cant keep up

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:30 AM
2nd Gear member
Default old timer cant keep up

well i just got done putting a new 11 inch clutch and flywheel in the old girl and while im driving around i see a 4th gen, i assume it was a V8 or a V6 with some work done to it and he revs his car, i figure may as well break the clutch in and give it a whirl, and he kills me, i got off the line faster, and i kept up okay, but by the end he was half a car legth ahead, and my 78 got mad at me i guess becaue on the way home i felt something fly off the car, i saw a little black thing bounce off in the distance from my rear view mirror, i pulled over and checked and everything seems okay, i think it was a piece of exhaust since its not even connected thanks to the rust lol

Old 11-30-2009, 01:23 PM
2nd Gear member

Not bad if it was the v8 camaro. What year of the 4th gen was it? What mods are done to your car? And did you ever find out what fell off?

Old 11-30-2009, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear member

it looked like a late late 90's or early 00's, and my car has negative mods lol, it has a run down 350 that has little to no compression in piston 7, but it has a 4spd muncie that is pretty strong, and it has a freshly rebuilt rochester 4bbl carb, and no, i wanted to turn around to check, but it was on a pretty busy road and raining out, i might go back 2night if it clears up

Old 11-30-2009, 02:48 PM
2nd Gear member

not to mention, the other 'maro had stickers galore on the back, flowmaster, nos, edelbrock u name it, each sticker adds 10 horse so im not suprised, and to be honest im not sure if i have a muncie or a saginaw, i tried reading the casting numbers on it when i did the clutch but didnt remeber to do so until i had it installed already and they were upside down for some reason, all i got out of it was GM 7 lol

Last edited by Adam78; 11-30-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adam78
not to mention, the other 'maro had stickers galore on the back, flowmaster, nos, edelbrock u name it, each sticker adds 10 horse so im not suprised, and to be honest im not sure if i have a muncie or a saginaw, i tried reading the casting numbers on it when i did the clutch but didnt remeber to do so until i had it installed already and they were upside down for some reason, all i got out of it was GM 7 lol
This will help you ID that 4 speed without numbers.
If it has 9 bolts on the cover it's a BW T-10,the Saginaw and Muncie both have 7 but a different reverse lever location.

The Muncie was used with most performance engines and is not to be confused with the Saginaw or Borg-Warner 4-speeds. The Muncie is distinguished from the Saginaw in that the reverse lever on the Muncie is mounted in the extension housing, where the Saginaw reverse lever is mounted in the side cover. The main difference between the Muncie and the Borg-Warner is that the Muncie has a 7 bolt side cover and the Borg-Warner has a 9 bolt side cover.

This is a Muncie,note location of reverse lever in tail (extension) housing

Last edited by Y2K; 11-30-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:34 PM
2nd Gear member

thank you, i have an oil change i should have done a few miles ago coming up when i get the money, i'll check it out then

Old 11-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Overdrive Member

LOL The Saginaw looks anorexic. If you have a Saginaw a work of advice. Look for another one, buy the time you get it the old should just be ready to puke. I burned up three in one summer. Bad syncros in all of them (kept jumping out of fourth gear).Then I found a Super T10. Had it for 10 years now.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
LOL The Saginaw looks anorexic. If you have a Saginaw a work of advice. Look for another one, buy the time you get it the old should just be ready to puke. I burned up three in one summer. Bad syncros in all of them (kept jumping out of fourth gear).Then I found a Super T10. Had it for 10 years now.
Hard to beat a good old Super T-10,tough as nails.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:56 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah my friend said that mine sounded like a muncie bc it has a pretty loud whine when u give it gas, does the saginaw or the Borg-Warner T-10 have a loud whine as well?

Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adam78
yeah my friend said that mine sounded like a muncie bc it has a pretty loud whine when u give it gas, does the saginaw or the Borg-Warner T-10 have a loud whine as well?
They shouldn't whine for the most part,could just be worn or an amateur rebuild not quite set up right.
Or low on gear oil!
The Muncie M22 rockcrusher is an exception,they are a bit noisy due to the straight cut heavy duty gears but I'd be surprised if you have an M22 and you'd be a lucky dawg if you do.
Not many M22's were made,mostly they came in big block Vettes and such with ultra high performance engines.

Quick Reply: old timer cant keep up