Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   70-81 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/70-81-general-12/)
-   -   oil galley plug... leaking HELP (https://camaroforums.com/forum/70-81-general-12/oil-galley-plug-leaking-help-76349/)

81livelong 02-16-2014 04:11 PM

oil galley plug... leaking HELP

alright, I've had this 305 for a long time and its been leaking oil for a while at first it wasn't noticeable, but it got worse and started leaking so bad I could not even drive it without a trail of smoke following behind it. How embarrassing right. I finally was able to locate where the leak was coming from. It seems to be coming from an oil galley plug that is located on the top of the block in the rear. There are two oil holes there and one I am currently using for my oil pressure line. And the other is currently leaking. It does not want to hold good oil pressure after warming up, and I have currently tried to fix this leak, but when I took the Intake and drivers head off I got to it and it seems to be siezed up in the hole only rounded out the 1/4 square insert. I need to get ideas on either how I could get this plug out while the engine is still in the car I need it to drive daily and can't keep affording the masses of oil I am currently using. Any ideas would be helpful and if anyone knows how I could get this out without getting metal shavings in the oil I would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. My name is Andrew and am looking for anything to help. Even just sealing the hole if possible I don't use it for anything.

paperairplanes 02-17-2014 07:58 PM

try hitting the side of it with a air chisel, that may jar it

1971BB427 02-18-2014 10:09 AM

If it's rounded off and no way to get to it to drill it out, then I'd probably make it permanent. If you spray it with brake cleaner, and then brush it with a stiff wire brush until it's very clean, you can probably seal it up with JB Weld. Unless you're willing to pull the engine to address the stuck plug, I doubt you'll get a rounded off plug out to do a proper repair, and JB Weld may be your only option.

Camaro 69 02-18-2014 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by 81livelong (Post 686321)
It seems to be coming from an oil galley plug that is located on the top of the block in the rear.

Gathering oil from a leaking rear intake valley gasket (more common than the plug) would make it seem like it's coming from the plug you're talking about. Clean that area off real well and check it again to make sure that what it is, is how it "seems".

81livelong 02-20-2014 11:33 AM

thanks, and ya I'm pretty sure its coming from that hole just because once I had put shelled over it and it slowed it enough to where it didn't spray only a small leak came out and u could follow it from underneath and follow it all the way to the plug.

greencamaro1981 04-02-2014 02:52 AM

dremels have a 90 degree attachment so you may be able to drill it out but as mentioned above i would clean it and epoxy it until you have to pull the motor

spifff2003 04-02-2014 09:43 AM

i'd gp the suggested jb weld route, love that stuff.
Dave