New weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club
Default New weatherstripping

Anyone installed new weatherstripping in their car recently? Yesterday I installed the new stuff in the trunk, and after I finished it was a real booger to get closed. Had to eventually readjust the catch to raise it because no matter how hard I shut the lid the trunk wouldn't close and catch. Once I raised it it catches, and it's close to level, but slightly high.
I'll leave it closed for now and see if it relaxes or compresses with time, but sure doesn't seem quite right. Still have to put new weatherstripping in the doors and I hope that it doesn't cause the same problems!
On another note; I pulled the door guides out to buy new ones, as the felt was mostly worn out or gone. Couldn't find them locally, but when I found them on the internet they were $15 ea. plus shipping. I got to thinking there might be a cheaper solution, as the metal was all like new, just bad felt. I went and got scraps leftover from covering my rear panels, and figured I'd try putting the wool felt carpet on the guides.
Cut pieces to fit, and with 3M weatherstrip adhesive I glued them on, then tied them in place with nylon wire ties. The 3M really stuck the felt in place! I thnk they're gong to work perfect, and the cost was $0!

Old 11-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Had the same issue somewhat with a new trunk seal on a '77 Nova I had.
It did settle down after a while and was easier to shut
Not sure what you mean by "door guides" but that 3M weatherstrip glue is some tough stuff for sure,I think it would stick a greased pig to a sheet of ice.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Oops! I meant window guides, not door guides. They're the little "L" shaped brackets with felt on them that hold the glass in place so it doesn't wobble. I knew mine were bad, as the driver's side was starting to scratch the glass a little.
Which brings up another question.....Anyone know of any compound to polish out scratches in glass? I gotta try to polish them out, or spring loose more funds for a sidewindow on the money pit.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

There's a number of products and home remedies out there but I think the best systems are what the pros use and not cheap to buy.
I'd call a glass shop that does automotive glass,might not be too expensive to just have them touch it up rather than hassling with some kit and getting less than stellar results or spending the money for new glass.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

That's a great idea! I'll see if I can drop it off at a glass shop near me and have them polish it out. Should be cheaper than new glass.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:52 AM
2nd Gear member

I just replaced the trunk weather stripping on my car a few months back and had the same problem.After a few weeks of the heat from the summer days it finally settled enough to close easier,the other problem i had for a while was that it stuck to the trunk lid when you opened it for about the first month or so,wasnt fun prying the trunk open after a few days of it being closed,all's good now though just took a little time.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:27 AM
3rd Gear Member

im going to replace my trunk weather stripping in the next few days..would heating it with like a hair dryer before working with it help?

Old 11-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The weatherstripping is super soft, so no need to heat it to work it. Be sure to get some 3M weatherstrip adhesive, it's the best! It literally snaps into place in the trough that sits in the trunk deck. Just clean the trough well, then start at bottom center and squirt the adhesive in the trough, brush with a cheap paint brush, and start pushing it down in the trough. Don't do more than about a foot at a time with glue. Then as you get that nearly done, glue another foot, and work that in.
Once you get a few feet in check it thoroughly for fit, and push it flush wherever it needs a little help. After you get within a foot of the end check it for length before gluing or cutting. Cut it about an inch long, then test fit it in the trough. Trim to slightly long, and then pull it back out. Now apply glue to trough and end of weather strip. Push it in place and glue the ends together.
You can actually install the whole thing to test fit it, then pull it out and glue it in, if you're more comfortable doing a dry trial fit first.
You can order this stuff, but you can also find it at almost any autoparts store for about $10-$12 a roll. Plenty to do a trunk. I ordered from Summit, but I was ordering other stuff, so just added it to my order.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 11-09-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
That's a great idea! I'll see if I can drop it off at a glass shop near me and have them polish it out. Should be cheaper than new glass.
Have used baking soda toothpaste and a low speed buffer with a foam head with some luck. Good luck finding aftermarket side windows that have the right contour/fit. Heard of guys on another forum going through many sets til they got one good set. I finally ran down a good pair at pick and pulls. Most of the worst scratches are out of sight on many windows I have noticed. Used ones are about $20 at a junk yard. How bad are yours? Can you feel them with a fingernail? If so they are probably not going to buff out.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:35 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You can get a kit from Eastwood for polishing out scratches. I think we paid around $60 for the one we got. All you need is a DA and a high speed drill.

A note on the weatherstrip, when you start with the trial fit find out how much you need to go around the trunk then add 2-3 inches and cut. The extra is for when the rubber begins to shrink. Otherwise you can end up with the ends coming apart in a year or two. On the tightness when closing, just give it time it will settle down, the same is true with new door seals too.

Quick Reply: New weatherstripping