New Project/Hi/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Hook a volt meter to the red wire connection at the back of the alternator and see what output is at when the engine is running. The two wires that are not connected to your alternator is what activates the regulator, with a conventional alternator. BUT....someone could have put on a one-wire alternator, and cut the two unneeded wires. When you start the engine with a one-wire, the self-exciting regulator won't kick in until you rev the engine to about 2,000 rpm's. Start your engine without revving it and see what voltage the alternator is putting out (whichever alternator you have, it shouldn't be full output). Then tap the rpm's high and read it again. If voltage output is now at 14-ish volts, you have a one-wire alternator. Then all you need to do is some wiring clean-up.
...just make sure those bare wires aren't touching any metal anywhere. That's what started my fire was a slight bare spot in the wiring.

Sounds like you're on a good roll with the starter. If you really want you can go get a bump starter and hook it up to the battery and starter and double check it that way but it'll turn over since you've already checked it the other way.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If you got the starter to engage while pushing the rod in the column, then you need to look at the end of the rod where it operates the switch and use those wires to connect to your new external switch. That should do the same as pushing the rod, by taking the switch wires off and connecting them to your new switch.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I fixed/reconnected the loose wires I had questions about earlier. Then, after hearing you guy's stories about stuff catching on fire, I went through the entire engine compartment and taped off all the remaining wires I couldn't identify and presumed went to the HVAC system...I'll deal with them later.
The one thing I cant figure out is, on the junction box (or whatever you call it) that all the ignition/acccessories run off, there are multiple wires that light up when it's activated. There's only 4 spots for wires on the generic ignition.
Do I attach all of them to the acc wire???Thats when they lit up on the light tester, I just don't know if that would be too much??? I wouldn't sweat it for stuff like the stereo, I can wire that later, but when I checked the power to the coil, it had none (wired off the new switch), I'm guessing that to wire them all to the same one would be ok...the worst that "should" happen, I think, is that I'll pop a fuse, but I dont know.
Please let me know your thoughts.
On a funny note: My wife hates cars... and for our family movie tonight, my 8 yr old daughter wanted to watch Fast and Furious...how's that for irony?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I did use the wires at the end of the circ uit. That's why I think theres a break somewhere in the wire. I had 2 #10 wires to choose from: pink w/black stripe and purple w/white stripe. I can't see squat for colors under the car...30+ yrs of grease and road..but it's gotta be one of those two. I think I'm just gonna run a lead from the "starter" lead on the ignition to the top lead on the starter. The worst that can happen (I hope) is that I'll pop a fuse

Old 03-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I've never seen wires that heavy (#10 ga.) to the starter! Are you sure about that wire size? A #10 ga. is more like that big wire that you showed in your alternator pic. The starter leads are usually more like a #14 ga, which is a couple sizes smaller.
Ignition systems don't take a lot of current, so lumping them on one fuse wont hurt.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Overdrive Member

If memory serves me its the purple that engages the starter. On the fire deal. I was adjusting the floats on the secondary side of the Holley when the bare spot in the alt. wire to the starter lit the gas coming out of the carb. Every time I would get it out, it would spark again. Of couse I wasn't at home and only had a 5/8 and a screwdriver for the carb,so I couldn"t pull the cable off. My buddies neghbor came home as I was almost in panic mode and offered up an adjustable wrench. The flannel jacket I was wearing and used to somther the flames is hanging in th garage as a reminder.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by rosky69
I fixed/reconnected the loose wires I had questions about earlier.
You referring to the loose alternator wires? I take it you determined you don't have a one-wire alternator then?
You sure would hate to fry the alternator or overcharge/blow the battery.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

The alternator wires are all taken care of...now I'm dealing with getting my starter to turn over my motor. I know it will, I heard it do it, but it's probably gonna look like I hotwired it, then hooked everything to a generic ignition. I would like to get my hands on the las 2 owners of this car, and just shake them. It's obvious, that at one time, somebody, who cared owned this car...then the last owner or 2 came along and f...ed it all up.
Anyway, Nomad, thanks for confirming my purple wire suspicion. I figure that's it (it was at the end of the connection for the ignition switch). Thanks to the rest of you for all the help. Hopefully I'll make this thing turn over tomorrow. Or...I'll catch it on fire...you never know, maybe that'll help haha.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Keep us posted! We'll sure try to do whatever we can to get it running, and get the wife calmed down!

Old 03-20-2010, 11:32 PM
2nd Gear member

Sounds like your headed in the right direction to getting it going,just takes a little time and alot of patience.I can tell you from first hand experience you DEFINITELY dont want the kind of help a fire would give you haha unless your trying to decide if you want to buy new wiring harnesses and everything else that can and will melt then if thats the case it will definitely help with that lol.

Quick Reply: New Project/Hi/Questions