new guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:43 AM
Overdrive Member

QA1 has a new set up I checked out the other day. They have a remote system that lets you adjust the shocks from inside the car. They are an upgrade for the suspension under my car now and I planned on getting them soon, but with the new controller I'll have 18 settings at my fingertips. All for humhmm... 1500 or so.

When I talked to Dave a PTFB the first time, he asked me my goals and I told him I want to hunt Porsche's. LOL

Old 06-17-2011, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Thats a pretty good goal I think!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Had a 911 playing with me one morning around 4:00 AM (a few years back) down the freeway. I was cruising along when he comes up next to me and smiles, then punches it. I guess he figured the '71 was a typical hotrod with really low gears and he could run away from me from 55 mph.
When I realised what he was doing I shifted it down and stood on it, catching him quickly, and smiled as I went past. At around 120mph he finally gave up and backed off. I think he figured out I wasn't running 4.11's like a lot of early muscle cars are. Glad he backed off, 'cause I don't think I wanted to go much faster myself.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:19 AM

I get 30mpg with my 944, its a 160hp 2.5 non turbo 4cyl... seriously lacking in ***** but I've had it up to 127mph on the gps so its no slouch either, but its my beater, door dings the whole nine, nice car tho 50k orig. miles, a/c works good. great driver. best handling car I've ever owned hands down, and I have a 76' 911s also. texas performance concepts is building a 3.8v6 4th gen camaro engine swap kit for the 944 that I can't wait to get for this car I got the engine already, I'm looking to get the 3.8 up to 250 rwhp, but thats for a later time, still a couple months til the kits are available

Old 06-17-2011, 01:08 PM

I've been under my C4 parts car and the entire front crossmember is self contained with all the front suspension, except for the shock mounts but I'm gonna use coil overs anyways so I'll I'd have to do is make two box tube frame rails to accept the crossmember, and narrow or widen the crossmember at worst to fit the width of the camaro subframe and it bolts in, then reinforce it all. I just need to measure what i want the track of the front to be with my wheels/offset

Old 06-17-2011, 03:19 PM

ok update! c4 frame center line to center line is less than an inch difference from the camaro subframe, also the track width is only 2 inches different from a 78'camaro and the 84' corvette parts car, so I am going to remove the camaro subframe and the corvette crossmember and weld braces to the camaro subframe and put it in my dad's jig so I can cut out the camaro crossmember and weld in a box to bolt the c4 subframe and I got the factory photos with dimensions of both the camaro subframe and corvette frame off the internet so I'll know its true before I finish welding everthing, I'm gonna take lots of pictures in case anyone else wants to do this, so in simple terms I'm going to cut out the cross member from the camaro subframe and weld a box into the camaro subframe to bolt the c4 crossmember into the camaro subframe and then reinforce the subframe.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:25 PM

I just read all about guy who's putting 4rth gen front suspension in a second gen, and he did it exactly like I wanna do the c4 cut out the camaro crossmember and adapt in the new one, he's really going radical, 4rth gen dash, front suspension and the c4 rear like I'm planning on doing, so its good to know other people are doing this too.
here's his link pretty awesome build!!2nd GEN - 4th GEN? - NastyZ28.com

Old 06-18-2011, 02:25 AM
Overdrive Member

I didn't even have to click the link, thats Irader. I help give him the name king ****. I know his thread well. Its the only one I really follow there. He has got skill that I would kill for. LOL I'm such a groupie I bought the same welder he has.

He used the shock towers and everything. Even the work he did to get the heater core to fit was awesome.

Last edited by 77nomad; 06-18-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:18 AM

yeah I read thru it twice, it was pretty incredible, I'm going to reference his thread through out my build, his wooden homemade frame jig was impressive, but I would rather use C4 front suspension over 4rth gen camaro front suspension any day and I personally like the 2nd gen factory dash and interior (I'm putting better front seats only, the rest will be restored to oe but in black) and I can make the a/c work really well without doing all that fabrication, texans know a/c lol, my LS motor has a stand alone harness so I'm not gonna do the crazy fabbing he did for the fuel tank plus I live in texas so emmisions doesn't matter on a 78, I might buy the efi ready tank if it doesn't get in the way of my C4 rear susp, if not then I'll just use a fuel cell in the trunk. my goal for this car is for it to look as stock and original as possible, without driving like a stock/original 78' camaro, I want it to look like a nice 70 camaro rs with pro-touring/restomod style, and I don't wanna spend $10,000 on just the front/rear suspension if I can use what I have with some fabrication, and then upgrade that, and after seeing his work it put my mind at ease about using the C4 crossmember in the camaro subframe, I'm going to start on the subframe build monday, I like to do alot of research before I tear into anything that I plan on seriously customizing although my effort is mostly going into the paint/body work, interior, and suspension. I won't even mess with my 330 hp LS engine. I'm not going cut any corners while still being cost effective and time efficient with each sub-project of this build, it has to be nice all the way around.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Overdrive Member

I don't think he did anything because he had to, he does it because he can.