new guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
I like the idea but the reality is you better be as good with a welder as you are with your thingy.
+1, lol!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:07 AM

I found a universal C4 IRS cradle on streetrodgarage dot com (for $250) so if anyone else that wants to do this its not incredibly hard, and since I have the whole C4 vette I might not need this cradle kit, but at least now I know its out there. The car has subframe connectors on it already. I found pictures of multiple 2nd gen camaro's and t/a's with C4 front susp, so I'm researching into this, but the C4 irs rear is definetly going under the car.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:13 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by crash78
I found a universal C4 IRS cradle on streetrodgarage dot com (for $250) so if anyone else that wants to do this its not incredibly hard, and since I have the whole C4 vette I might not need this cradle kit, but at least now I know its out there. The car has subframe connectors on it already. I found pictures of multiple 2nd gen camaro's and t/a's with C4 front susp, so I'm researching into this, but the C4 irs rear is definetly going under the car.
I'd like to see these pics of 2nd gen Camaros with C4 suspension. I've seen a lot of brake conversions to C4 brakes, but never seen any suspension swaps to C4. There was one 2nd gen that a guy swapped the whole chassis of a C4 under on one of the forums.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:02 AM

here's a really nice one, I have pics of other cars saved on my computer

1977 PONTIAC TRANS AM

Old 06-16-2011, 10:08 AM

I haven't found any pics of 2nd gens with C4 rear susp, but I'm sure someone has done it, it looks easier the doing the front and several have done the C4 front susp

Old 06-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Overdrive Member

That car doesn't have a stock front sub frame. Just pointing it out. I am NOT trying to tell you how to build your car, but the stuff I have on my car has been track proven to be as good a a C5 ZO6. Keith from customworks actually beat one at a autocross in Cali. He runs the same (basically) front set up I have. His is way more refined and has a few more tricks that came out after I bought my stuff. But its a bolt on.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Thanks for the link! That's kinda what I suspected in a C4 swap, a complete new front subframe build, as I didn't think it would be feasable to fab the C4 control arms to a Camaro subframe.
Actually I think the whole subframe assembly set up for C4 suspension would be easier than building the rear C4, if someone sells the subframes already built. If you have to build one from scratch it will require not only great fab skills, but a frame jig to build it, and get everything squared up within a 1/16" or so when all thw welding is done. I sure wouldn't trust my fab skills to build one, but I know guys who can do it.
You did notice the price tag on that build didn't you? $72k!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I would agree with Damon; you can't really improve on the aftermarket systems available for upgrading the stock 2nd gen system, but if you're really intent on something different, then why not go all out. Jim Meyers sells complete subframes that you can just bolt under your car and away you go! They have all the cool control arm stuff, plus rack and pinion steering, and upgraded disc brakes, motor mounts, etc. Not cheap, but it's all CAD designed and engineered, so you don't have to worry about whether it will hold up.

http://www.chassiskits.com/cm1.html

Welcome to Jim Meyer Racing Products inc. - UNIVERSAL CUSTOM FRONT AND REAR SUBFRAMES

Last edited by 1971BB427; 06-16-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:26 AM

my dad and older brother are both professional welders, and they're psyched about this project and can make a new front subframe in their sleep, but I like to do everything myself, I just ask them for advice, I've done alot of welding and fabricating myself, I completely restored a 1966 MGB myself, new floors, dog legs lots of sheet metal work on that car and then painted it myself, and my good friend and co-worker has done several LS swaps, he has a C4 vette with a built 6.0 and the camaro previous owners mechanic is also a friend and he built the turbo 6.0 set up that was in the car, so I'm in good company, right now I'm basically figuring out the cost to benefit ratio of everything I want to do with this car, before I start dumping my money into it. I'm dead set on using the 5.3 H.O. and 4l60 in the car, the int/ext color combo and the 78-70 body conversion, and most likely the C4 rear suspension cuz I have it and an irs 2nd gen would be sick.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:43 AM

I like the QA1 front coil over conversion thats available and the price is not bad, and tubular control arms with a 1 1/4 front sway bar, and all new bushings etc. I think that would handle well. I daily drive a Porsche 944 with weltmeister springs, and MO30 sway bars, bilstein shocks/struts and aluminum 944 turbo control arms and trailing arms, so this camaro has got to handle as good as its gonna look too.