New guy

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default New guy

Ok coming from Chevelles and Skylarks I decided to get something different, just joined the 2nd Gen family, just picked up a 74 Camaro with an inline 6 and a 3-speed manual on the floor from the factory with aftermarket A/C car has 98k miles documented. I bought it from the second owner who owned it for 20 years, he just installed:

New shocks
New Calipers/Pads/drums/shoes
body bushings
all new front suspension/centerlink/idler arm
all new poly urethane control arm bushings
new 3 speed trans
new clutch

Receipts for all it as well (how cool was that!) all was done within the last year!!

The paint job looks like a Krylon spray paint job! The car rides SOLID......the ONLY thing wrong is that the 1BL carb is CRAP, it will fire up and idle but the minute you give it gas it bogs and floods out!!!

Paid $2000, and the guy towed it to my house

Funny he replaced all of that and he stopped driving it because of the carb issue and let it sit for the last 4 months.

So I need help because I am not carb savy, any recommendations on getting this thing rebuilt or just buy a new one from like Kragen or Autozone?

I will take pics of it this morning and post.

I also was thonking of finding a 70-73 front clip to graft on to it and change the rear tail lights to mimmick the 70-73.

Comments advice welcome

Old 03-25-2011, 10:48 AM
1st Gear Member

welcome. what are your plans for it besides the new front clip? v8 conversion? 4, 5 or 6 spd conversion?

Old 03-25-2011, 11:34 AM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

welcome, go with a new carb, gl with the body swap and post some pics!

Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by oreocreaming
welcome. what are your plans for it besides the new front clip? v8 conversion? 4, 5 or 6 spd conversion?
I have a an LT1/6-speed from a previous purchase that I was going to install into my 65 Skylark (sold it to buy the Camaro) so the conversion is definitely happening lol.

I want to redo the dash and get rid of the idiot lights, I also have a power window kit that I am going to install, the car came with aftermarket 15" wheels so I will be selling them and purchase some 18" wheels.

Since the car is pretty much mechanically sound i will be focusing on the conversion of the V6 to 8.

The car will get the Pro-Touring treatment in a nut shell! I will keep pictures updated as well.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:45 PM
Overdrive Member

Welcome. Pics are welcomed more. I like the sound of your project. But I have to say, just keep the sheetmetal the way it is. Its been done, some like it some don't. The rear is a real chore with the trunk pan, quarter panel, and rear valance all needing work just to get it to fit. The there's the back window. Keep the wrap around or more work to get the small glass in. Good luck either way. Just giving my opinion.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Welcome. Pics are welcomed more. I like the sound of your project. But I have to say, just keep the sheetmetal the way it is. Its been done, some like it some don't. The rear is a real chore with the trunk pan, quarter panel, and rear valance all needing work just to get it to fit. The there's the back window. Keep the wrap around or more work to get the small glass in. Good luck either way. Just giving my opinion.
greatly appreciated!! It was more of a thought than anything else.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Guys I need your help, I purchased a replacement 1bl carb, and got it adjusted and set the idle air adjustment screws and it idles perfectly fires right up!

The problem.......get in the car and start to accelerate as I put the tranny in first and it bogs like crazy and then I give it more gas and it straightens up , shift to second and it bogs a bit and start to give it gas and it hesitates again , shift into 3rd and it just wants to shut off almost like it is starving?

Can the new carb have an issue already being brand new? It seems as though the carb is starving?? Idles great if I ease into the throttle I can get it going good but once I get to third it starts freaking out.

The original carb I was able to accelerate and whatnot with no issues until IT started to flood and dump fuel into the manifold (I am thinking I should have tried to rebuild the one that was on it) I am lost right now this sucks.

Help , suggestions?

Old 03-25-2011, 10:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

this might sound crazy but if the cat converter is still there it may be clogged. if it's there i'd try pulling the exhaust apart in front of it and take it for a spin.
Dave

Old 03-25-2011, 10:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by spifff2003
this might sound crazy but if the cat converter is still there it may be clogged. if it's there i'd try pulling the exhaust apart in front of it and take it for a spin.
Dave
The cat has been removed and a new exhaust has been installed from previous owner.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well that rules that out then sounds to me like it's either starving for fuel or can't breath weak fuel pump maybe just a guess
Dave