New to car, new to forum, pretty much a noob

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Default Update

Got the tranny out and traded it in with cash on top for a rebuilt TH350 with an SK shift kit installed. Looks so pretty it'll be a shame to put it in the oil bath going on under my hood haha. Got to looking around and I think maybe all the oil under there may have been from the transmission, because no gaskets seem to be leaking, and the oil filter is fine. There was a crack in the metal thing at the bottom of the tranny dipstick, and most the oil seemed to be centered around the transmission. Gonna clean it up tomorrow and see if maybe I'll luck out. I need new transmission coolant lines, are steel braided hoses readily available at auto parts stores that I could turn into coolant lines? New solid metal ones online are $50, seems a little steep. Can't wait to get this thing rolling, I've never seen it move forward haha.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:28 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default welcome

welcome to the forum,wish u good luck and happiness with ur camaro,u will get it figured out, just needs a little tinkering,Lol.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:48 AM

Well I got her all together and running pretty good a week or two ago, had some trouble w/ the transmission coolant lines leaking (hard to get a wrench on those damn things once the tranny is in) but she seems good to go now, and whoever had it before me really did invest a bit in the engine, cause she moves pretty good. Also discovered it doesn't have a posi rear end though. I've heard getting a rear end out of a trans am is the way to go, cause you get posi and disc brakes? Now I'm looking to start fixing up more minor things like interior and stuff. Can't wait to have this thing shining up nice, maybe I'll stop getting **** from my friends about how I should be growing a mullett haha. Love the car though, really happy to be learning and fixing it up!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by livin the dream
Well I got her all together and running pretty good a week or two ago, had some trouble w/ the transmission coolant lines leaking (hard to get a wrench on those damn things once the tranny is in) but she seems good to go now, and whoever had it before me really did invest a bit in the engine, cause she moves pretty good. Also discovered it doesn't have a posi rear end though. I've heard getting a rear end out of a trans am is the way to go, cause you get posi and disc brakes? Now I'm looking to start fixing up more minor things like interior and stuff. Can't wait to have this thing shining up nice, maybe I'll stop getting **** from my friends about how I should be growing a mullett haha. Love the car though, really happy to be learning and fixing it up!
Don't assume a TA rearend is automatically a posi! They made thousands of TA's with open differentials, and I'd bet most you find will be open. You also need to consider the gear ratio, as many 2nd gen Camaros and Firebirds were pretty high geared. Don't buy anything without pulling the cover to see if it's posi and what ratio.
Summit sells cooling line sets for $35. I bought mine there and they were a perfect fit. Don't use hose or braided lines for trans cooling. Short pieces to a remote cooler are OK, but nothing more.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 11-21-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:33 PM

Well this is kind of turning into a general thread about the restoration of my Z28. Might as well ask for some more wisdom. My car is a Z28, but it's missing the lower front bumper lip, which is a bummer cause I think it looks really cool. Is there a place to buy these without finding someone parting one out? If so, where's the best place to get one? Probably going to paint my car this winter, so I want it to be complete body-wise fairly soon. Also I need new shocks all around, but especially in the front. Any recommendations on best bang for the buck with these? Kind of on a budget here, so not looking to get really expensive adjustable racing ones or anything. Thanks again guys!

Old 11-21-2011, 01:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Don't use hose or braided lines for trans cooling. Short pieces to a remote cooler are OK, but nothing more.
why on the no braided lines for trans cooling Vall?

Old 11-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by jason7504
why on the no braided lines for trans cooling Vall?
Too easy to be damaged physically or by header heat. And if they are too close to a heat source you wont know they're being damaged until they burst. The braid hides the condition of the inner hose, and you can't see if it's getting cooked by proximity to the header heat. Steel lines can withstand the heat of being close to the headers and never damage the lines. There's no reason to use braided or high pressure rubber hoses when steel is better and cheaper.
If a hose bursts and it's near a header it will likely end in an engine fire that will burn the car to the ground. Too much risk just for looks.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:29 AM
Overdrive Member

Good point val. I have about 50ft of teflon lined braided hose. If I were to go back to an auto I would still use it. I would just plumb it through the frame.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:09 AM
Default Tear it Down

I am maybe a bit crazy but when I buy a car and anything looks like it just was ragged on I tear it down. Not too much for a gasket kit and then you will know exactly what you have on the inside. Congrats on the car though. It will be a test of your patience at times so dont lose heart. I must've looked at 15-18 parts cars and only found 2 parts that I needed. One wasnt even from a Camaro or Firebird. Good luck on it.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by squidnut
I am maybe a bit crazy but when I buy a car and anything looks like it just was ragged on I tear it down. Not too much for a gasket kit and then you will know exactly what you have on the inside. Congrats on the car though. It will be a test of your patience at times so dont lose heart. I must've looked at 15-18 parts cars and only found 2 parts that I needed. One wasnt even from a Camaro or Firebird. Good luck on it.
I've rarely torn an engine down to check bearings, rings, etc. that I didn't find something that made me glad I chose to check it.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 11-26-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply: New to car, new to forum, pretty much a noob