New 76 camaro project. Info and tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default New 76 camaro project. Info and tranny issues

Hi I'm new to this section of the forum. Ive owned a 95 z28 since I was 17 and last week I found a 76 camaro for $500 at a tow yard and I couldn't resist. Car didn't come with keys and it's in....let's just say it needs love. But it's not hopeless gives me something to do until I go to Afgahnistan anyways. I stripped out the interior, replaced the ignition and rebuild the steering column and managed to get her to fire up and then even stay running! Took some coercing though. But my question is this: it's an inline 6. I've never worked with a carbeurated engine before and no one seems to give a damn about 6 cylinders. Is there anywhere I can get exploded diagrams, repair manuals for the 4.1 liter or anything of the like? Its almost drivable but the damn thing won't shift. It's an automatic, will start in any gear and no power goes to the wheels. Im checking the linkage and safety switch tomorrow. But besides that anyone have any tips? Semper fi

Old 03-03-2011, 06:37 AM
In the Staging Lanes

You might be able to order a manual from a local auto parts store. They are nice to have when you just can't find the info you seek on-line.

Its almost drivable but the damn thing won't shift. It's an automatic, will start in any gear and no power goes to the wheels.
Kinda confused... Does the car not have any forward or reverse gears?

Old 03-03-2011, 07:55 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like it's very low on fluid at the least, or maybe bad clutches. Hvae you checked the fluid levels yet? Start the engine and let it warm up, then with the tranny in neutral check the fluid level. It may have a bad seal or two, and leaking fluid, so might be low.
I see TH350's on CL all the time cheap.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Make sure the driveshaft is still there too. You won't go far without one, and filling the trans would only make a big mess.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Lol yeah there is a driveshaft but no I checked the parts store. Haynes and chilton only sell manuals for the v8 models. I have the Haynes because I didn't realize it wasn't for the 6 cylinders. I checked the fluid and it seemed fine but I added a quart just for kicks. No change. I can start the car in any gear, and there is no change when i roll through the stops on the floor shifter. I checked the linkage and it checked out EXCEPT the rod or cable that would go from the equalizer bar bellcrank to the steering column Is missing. That only serves the purpose of the neutral start safety switch and the gear indication ivn the instrument cluster right? Also my kickdown/TV/detent cable is severed at the carb. Looks like the wire just got torn off. I fiddled around some with the neutral start safety switch because it will start in all gears, and found out that it didn't even matter if the thing was plugged in, the car would start anyway. So....is it rewired? I don't think it could make a circuit then. Ill drop the pan tomorrow to see what I can find, or if the filter is clogged. I was told there was a vacuum line that tells the tranny what gear to be in. I can't find any vacuum lines from the transmission, but if that's correct where would I look? Besides that I'm stumped. I'll update tomorrow

Old 03-04-2011, 04:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes

and I've been looking on craigslist. A lot of the TH350's have 350 engines conveniently attached to them so I may just end up doing a swap. That's what I'm loving about not working with an LT1 lots of room and no computers

Old 03-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

It could be that it's just shot. Might be the reason it ended up in a junkyard. Maybe somebody didn't want to throw any more money into a 6 banger. That's too bad, but at the price you got it, it's good for you. The V8/th350 swap is the way to go.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Right, that steering column linkage rod works the column indicator, and keeps you from turning the key all the way off and removing it if the trans isn't in park. Your neutral safety switch works separate of that, and must have been hot-wired. So, looking at the trans, the linkage arm and shaft does rotate when you run the shifter through the gears? Oh, did you check to make sure nobody removed the torque converter bolts...heh heh. Otherwise, I think you may have found out why the car was at the tow yard!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I was told it was at the tow yard because the sherriff had it dragged in for expired plates. Haha I found a verizon phone bill in the back and so I called the number and left a message for the guy telling him I think I had his car lol....he never called me back. Anyways last night I got off work around 3am and let the engine run for about fifteen minutes before checking the fluid and it's pretty low. So im going to try a filter and fluid change to see if someone up there really loves me and that's the only issue and I took the dustplate off and the torque converter is spinning so I'll check the bolts

Old 03-04-2011, 12:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Spinning when the engine is on

Quick Reply: New 76 camaro project. Info and tranny issues