New to 2nd gen!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Massey
My personal preferance with street 4bbl cars is the Edelbrock 1406. It is a 600CFM with mech secondaries and electric choke. They run about $275-$300 new and work really good with stock to mildly built 350s.

Alot of people like the Holley carb, which is also a good carb, but I dont care for the antiquated power valve, so my vote goes to the Edelbrock.

Also the Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake 2701, or 2101, both look great and will improve performance over a stock manifold.

The 2701 is designed to be used with the 1400 series and other square bore carbs with no plate. The 2101 has a spread bore configuration that allows a stock Q-jet carb to be used. If a square bore is used you will have to use plate #2732 or similar to prevent a vacuum leak.

Massey
Thanks a lot that was very much needed information lol. I think I'll go for the Edelbrock you first suggested. I have a brand new Eldelbrock intake that I was given when I bought the car have yet to really look at it yet though.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:36 PM
2nd Gear member

Holley fixed the power valve. New carbs will not blow the power valve on a back fire. It is also very easy to plug if you don't want to deal with a $4 part that improves fuel mileage.

If you like working on your car and now what your doing then get a Holley. I love Holley's.

However, if you have no idea how to tune a carb and just want your car to run, get an Eldelbrock. 600-650 for your car.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I personally dislike Edelbrocks. Had nothing but trouble with mine, and gave it to a friend, who now dislikes them also after having my old one for a year.
I'm a fan of Holleys, and the power valve issues never gave me any trouble, and they've redesigned them to make the power valves even more reliable and not prone to blowing out if it backfires. I love the ability to tune and change parts easily, plus set the floats externally on a Holley.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:46 PM

I'm know my way a bit but not with a carb so I guess I should go with an eldebrock to keep my car running, or maybe just go with the holly and just learn lol.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:10 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by gfrench
Holley fixed the power valve. New carbs will not blow the power valve on a back fire. It is also very easy to plug if you don't want to deal with a $4 part that improves fuel mileage.

If you like working on your car and now what your doing then get a Holley. I love Holley's.

However, if you have no idea how to tune a carb and just want your car to run, get an Eldelbrock. 600-650 for your car.
Power valves are way more important than that, they help make the transition from idle. Plugging them works sometimes on drag cars because they're wide open the whole time. Streeting them, you need everything working in harmony. I do agree that the newer ones with blow out protection are light years ahead of the old ones. Loved getting a car running only to back fire and have to tear it apart again.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 AM
2nd Gear member

My Camaro has to old style. Just replaced the power valve. I know they are important, just didn't want to write a book. Mine is a race car and I want a working power valve.

Point was they are $4 and easy to change.

Get a Holley and learn.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Try putting a bigger accelerator pump in an Eddy. Do they even offer that? Try pulling the whole top to set floats-Ugh! Try adjusting the vacuum secondaries to adjust when they open-drilling holes in the plates to add lead weight to the plates-what kind of a factory fix is that?
I just got tired of the whole BS and went back to my Holley.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Try putting a bigger accelerator pump in an Eddy. Do they even offer that? Try pulling the whole top to set floats-Ugh! Try adjusting the vacuum secondaries to adjust when they open-drilling holes in the plates to add lead weight to the plates-what kind of a factory fix is that?
I just got tired of the whole BS and went back to my Holley.
I think you missed the line when I said I am a Holley, guy.
Just recently bought the 770 ultra street avenger.
I hate Eddy carbs.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Overdrive Member

LOL I bought one for my old pickup. I couldn't do much past tuning the idle air mixture. It did make a world of difference over the Holley that was on there. It kept getting trash is the secondary needle and seat. After shutting the truck off, I could hear the gas still trickling down the intake. I must have replaced it and the filter 5 times in 2 years. Never did get it to work. I believe there was a defect in it. I got it new looking for 10 bucks. Anyhow the Eddy was much better, but still not my cup of tea.

Anyone remember Predator carbs? Funky but they worked.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:53 PM

Well I've decided for now I'm just going to rebuild the current 2 barrel and get her in good shape. Then buy me a used motor and completely rebuild it, which will take time but I can have that motor exactly the way I want it and in the process I can drive my camaro lol. Which by the way is killing me at the moment because I'm itching to drive it. After the other motor is rebuilt I'll get a bigger 4 barrel from holley etc. This way a motor is the project not my whole car so I can enjoy what I have for now lol.