Need help with purchasing 77 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009 | 10:03 AM
SKD

you can stop by a smog shop thats not busy and ask them what a 1977 came with and they have all the information in a book they have to keep for the barr, they are usually happy to tell you what you need. thats what i did with my 87 jeep and thats what im gonna do if i end up with a 77 camaro also.

Old 10-16-2009 | 04:36 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by jim kirk
I have had two 1977 Camaros, both with 305 2barrel carbs, and neither had smog pumps or any sign of ever having smog pumps. Both were in stock form and tired condition.
He's talking a CALIFORNIA car. Ca. had smog pumps back in 1970. My car came from Ca. and is a 1971, and it had both smog pump and charcoal canister for tank vent.

Old 10-16-2009 | 07:31 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks guys! I will be stopping by the smog shop this weekend just to get an idea of how strict they will be and what I will need.

Old 10-19-2009 | 10:35 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The Camaro would only need a smog pump if the car originally came with one. If the car had one originally, as it might, it would need one to be licensed in California. But if it was sold originally in Florida and did not have a smog pump you would not need to add one to license it in California.

Old 10-19-2009 | 02:38 PM
SKD

The Camaro would only need a smog pump if the car originally came with one. If the car had one originally, as it might, it would need one to be licensed in California. But if it was sold originally in Florida and did not have a smog pump you would not need to add one to license it in California.
this is the same thing i heard when i stopped by the smog shop today. find out where it was sold and go from there.

Old 10-21-2009 | 09:58 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by SKD
this is the same thing i heard when i stopped by the smog shop today. find out where it was sold and go from there.
I stopped by the smog shop today and they basically said just need the smog pump and catalytic converter if it came with it.

Does anyone know if any of the 77 Camaro's came with the catalytic converter?

Old 10-22-2009 | 09:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

All 77 Camaros, destined for road use, had catalytic converters to meet federal emission standards.

I once heard of some car with tiny engine, gasoline powered, from some manufacturer did manage to meet federal emission standards for a few years without one. But as my sentence implies my memory is fuzzy on the exception.

Old 10-22-2009 | 09:47 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

All 77 Camaros, destined for road use, had catalytic converters to meet federal emission standards.

I once heard of some car with tiny engine, gasoline powered, from some manufacturer did manage to meet federal emission standards for a few years without one. But as my sentence implies my memory is fuzzy on the exception.
I heard the same rumor.

Old 10-22-2009 | 10:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

god am i glad i live in FL. my 94 doesnt even have a cat. My 97 dakota didnt have anything but a straight single pipe. I say buy the car, fly to FL and register it, then fly back with a FL tag and gut that emissions bulls**t

Old 10-22-2009 | 10:42 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 750chop
god am i glad i live in FL. my 94 doesnt even have a cat. My 97 dakota didnt have anything but a straight single pipe. I say buy the car, fly to FL and register it, then fly back with a FL tag and gut that emissions bulls**t
I couldn't agree more! California is the worst state for vehicles.

Quick Reply: Need help with purchasing 77 Camaro