Need help...please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:43 PM

thanks so much guys.... i'm glad they have this forum. Hopefully its ok. THe gas I saw leaking...and where the fire was..was literally right around the carb at the top. Thats why I thought maybe it was fromm me pumping the pedal too much. But thanks for all your help and advice..and the pics.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:45 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah it might be leaking out of one of the lines up top i use to have that on my 63

Old 07-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stix80
dont just atempt to replace the fuel pump it might be leaking somewhere else like a line or something

Yeah the pump may or may not be bad,just look for leaks before you go starting the car again.
There may or may not be a fuel line leaking from a gas line,it could just be coming right from the carb itself from old tired gaskets that leak and you pumping it too many times.
A leaky old carb shouldn't be a huge deal while driving but a gas line leak could be lol.
If you don't see any major leaks give starting it up a whirl,if she starts look it over again real well for leaks with it running at idle before you take off in it.
If it doesn't start and acts like it's not getting fuel it could be as simple as a clogged filter so don't jump on replacing the pump till everything else is ruled out.
You could disconnect the fuel line at the carb and crank the motor over to see if it pumps gas out,might be wise to have some kind of catch can ready to pump the fuel into,oh and don't do this with a lit cigarette in your mouth.

Last edited by Y2K; 07-26-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ive had the float stick on a carb and the gas was coming out of the vent tube in the center.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

No reason to replace the fuel pump at all, as if it wasn't wprking you wouldn't have fuel leaking out. It's getting to the carb, or it wouldn't leak.
I would do as previously mentioned and remove the coil wire from the distributor cap and then have someone crank the engine as you check to see where the leak is. Once you've found the leak, then you can address that problem, return the coil wire to the distributor, and fire it up.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The carburetor isn't going to leak fuel from pumping it a few times, not the way you describe it anyway. It kinda sounds to me like the carb is overflowing.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
ive had the float stick on a carb and the gas was coming out of the vent tube in the center.
Originally Posted by Camaro 69
The carburetor isn't going to leak fuel from pumping it a few times, not the way you describe it anyway. It kinda sounds to me like the carb is overflowing.

They might be on to something there,you may need a carburetor hammer.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Default pump

if you got to much gas no way fuel pump is bad.If you have no leaks you may have a timing chain problem will make cylinders fire in wrong order causing carburater to flood. Just something else you may want to check.