Need help making a decision-newbie

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Default Need help making a decision-newbie

Hey how is everyone doing? I have a bit of a problem at hand. I currently own a 1985 Dodge Shelby Charger (Pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/1026356...eat=directlink) which currently needs the cylinder head reinstalled. Ive been offered in trade a 1980 Z28 with a 383 Stroker and manual valve body automatic trans, in need of new floors. Im going tomorrow to thoroughly look over the car and was wondering what exactly I should be looking for? Is the trade even worth it? I was told the car runs and drives. (Pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1026356...521775/CAMARO#)

I would greatly appreciate any guidance you guys could give me. Ive wanted a Camaro for a long time but I dont want to just jump head first into this and be out of a car with too many issues to deal with with the Camaro. I can get more pictures tomorrow if it would help as well. Basically im trying to figure out if I should use my tax return to finish the Shelby (which is known to eat turbo's at $400 a pop) or trade for the Camaro (possibly + cash on his end) and take that project under my wing instead. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx9z4u8AksY&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

If you don't know, watch this video. It will go over all the areas you need to watch out for.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

I don't know what the rest of the Camaro underside looks like but from the rust "showing" in the pics I think I'd finish the Charger. Some will disagree put IMO it's probably a more desireable car.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 PM

thanks for the help guys, Im still going to check it over tomorrow. Ill be taking a magnet and flashlight (always do) and hopefully its JUST the floor. Im still going to wait a few days to consider it officially but knowing that floors are available, if everything else checks out clean Ill make a decision from there. It will also depend on how much cash he is willing to put down towards my car as well. If the floor and subframe are both gone and he offers up $500 minimum it will give me plenty to replace the floors, rails and anything else. I can do my own body work at my uncles so labor isnt an issue.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Replacing floors and frame rails? Wow, that would be a parts car. No need to fix it, find another one. fixing bits of the floor, that isn't bad.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 PM

Frame rails and the floor aren't terribly expensive, nor is it extensive work. I wouldn't see why that should be an issue?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Floors wouldn't be a issue, but frame rails; now there's a huge issue. Not an easy fix by any means, and if the frame rails are toast, most likely the spring perches are also gone. You're getting into areas that they don't even make parts for, so fixing it will be major. Only part of the frame rail is available, so be sure you want to fabricate whatever is rusted out beyond what can be bought. The rear frame of a 2nd gen is actually a unibody, so it's not like doing a front subframe.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 PM

I have the tools to fabricate it, and from what I can see its a full box design so I could create a U shaped rail and weld a plate to close it up. The metal cost though is something I dont know. Ive never bought that heavy a metal. My uncle has welders/benders etc as hes currently restoring a 50's chevy from the ground up and built his own chasis for it. Ill have to talk to him about costs I suppose. Chances are I wont trade as I can get at least $4000 for my car once its running, which would allow me to buy a rust free 3rd gen. My biggest issue is the 5spd's are a bi#$% to find around here, well V8 anyways. Think a ratchet shifter would be a PITA street driving?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Overdrive Member

Dude its unibody. Look at the tail panel.If thats gone and the rails too I'd run. The torque boxes where the front spring eye mounts is another biggy. Looking at the floors I could fix those. The frame sections are spot welded all over the place. Good luck with home made stuff there. Those four bolts going through the floor in that one pic puzzles me. I would see what there bolted to.

I'm not sure I'd give up your Charger for it. My best friend had one just like yours way back when. It was warmed over pretty good with Mopar Performance stuff he got right a the dealer. Axle shafts bigger turbo. Screamer to say the least. It went 13.30s back in around '94-'95. On top of that after doing the math on his final drive ratio at red line in 5th gear it was going 160. We found out outside Austin Texas. I had to poop, lol.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:19 AM

lol I see what you mean now. So Ill definitely take everything into consideration. My biggest concern is they're known to eat turbo's because they're non intercooled. I've posted it up for trade for now to see if I get any other offers until this spring when I can get it into my uncles shop to finish it. I had a mild build 89 Daytona I had up to 156 on the highway in 08, I miss it soo much. 40mpg and it was pretty quick. lowered, louvers, full 3" exhaust, BOV, FMIC higher boost etc. Ill post up some more pics of the Camaro tomorrow for anyone interested.

Quick Reply: Need help making a decision-newbie