Need Help ..engine component ID

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Overdrive Member

Well are you trying to keep it stock? Does it have to pass emissions? I have an 86 Chevy SWB 4x4 that until recently ran like a top. Looks the same under the hood, miles of vacuum line. I started having issues with the choke and had a high idle. I started cutting lines out trying to eliminate as many lines that could be leaking as possible. Basically I'm down to PCV, vacuum advance, and not much else. Then I found the choke issue was not my only problem. The QJet that was in sweet tune just a couple months ago now has a worn throttle shaft and I can't tune the SOB to save my life. The idle screw is backed all the way out and it still won't idle down.

So to answer your question I would buy a Edlebrock performer intake and a 600 CFM Holley carb and then when all the crap is out of the way your engine compartment won't look so intimidating.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:20 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Not Necessarily looking to keep it stock. It will not have to pass emmissions, in fact it has no Cats. yea...it has tons of vacuum lines. Are vacuum advance and PCV the only ones that are critical? I also have the quadrajet.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:26 AM
2nd Gear member

those are all that you need to keep. BUT you must plug all the holes and ports on the manifold and the carb. Oh you need to keep the large vacc line to your pwr brakes also.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Since you have no cats, that's probably why the diverter is not hooked up. As Rydeer said, don't leave any open ports, even if you don't feel or hear vacuum leaks. Some may open while you're driving based on solenoids that are operating off idle or in gear, so may not show at idle.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well I figured it out...the component I couldn't identify is the "Early fuel evaporation" actuator. Book says it reduces engine warmup time, improves driveability, and reduces emissions. Is this a keeper on a non emissions tested vehicle?

Old 12-13-2011, 11:57 AM
2nd Gear member

Do you have stock exhaust manifolds on this car? A hose from the aircleaner to a tin surround on the exhaust manifold puts hot air to the carb. There is a flapper on the exhaust. This used to be operated by a spring that reacted to heat and closed when the engine gets hot. If you don't drive this car year round as a daily driver you won't need it.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the manifolds look stock...but the metal hose from the air cleaner has been cut...so I guess they are not

Old 12-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

In your first picture, towards the top, I'm seeing an intake manifold heat actuated vacuum switch (orange in color) with two open nipples on the left, and one hose to the right. If that hose is coming from a vacuum source, then one or both of those other open ports should be sucking vacuum once the engine warms up. Check them, and cork em up as necessary.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by BZpbp
Well I figured it out...the component I couldn't identify is the "Early fuel evaporation" actuator. Book says it reduces engine warmup time, improves driveability, and reduces emissions. Is this a keeper on a non emissions tested vehicle?
Potato or potatto. Some books call it the diverter, some call it the actuator.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:00 PM
2nd Gear member

perhaps if the car runs ok, you shouldn't fiddle with it. Most of the time when you don't know what the part is, YOU SHOULD KEEPA YOU HANDS OUT!

Quick Reply: Need Help ..engine component ID