Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Unhappy Need Help

Yes, I have another problem. I have a 1979 Chevy Camaro Z28 and the
entire floor needs to be replaced. Yearone has a complete floor for a 70 to
73 Camaro. I was wondering if I could make that floor fit in my 79 or if I have to go another route. The 70 to 73 are F body's aren't they? If so,
wouldn't that floor work? My 79 has a manual transmission.

Please help me, I have no where else to turn.
Thank You, Philbert

Old 05-29-2009, 07:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Philbert
Yearone has a complete floor for a 70 to
73 Camaro. I was wondering if I could make that floor fit in my 79 or if I have to go another route.

I would think that the people making the part would know if any other customers had made it adapt to another car, or if it could even be done.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i have seen them on ebay look under your year camaro

Old 05-30-2009, 12:36 PM
2nd Gear member

now when you say full floor. do you mean from the end of the toe panels to the back of the rear seats? or do you have the toe panels included as full floor. because i just ordered the full length floor from npd last week(my car is a 78). and that covers the seam between toe panels all the way back to the floor right infront of where the rear seat cusions go. so they do technically make a full pan for it. but it may not be everything you need

Old 05-30-2009, 03:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

instead of replacing my floor panels, i cut out the rusty parts and fiberglassed the complete floors, not only does it look good if you do it right, it reduces weight! and its guaranteed not to rust!

Old 05-31-2009, 10:35 AM

I mean from the seam of the the toe all the way back from the back of the back seat
were it is seamed and from door to door were it is seamed. The entire floor is in bad
shape and I think it would be easier just to pull the whole floor out and put in a new or better one. What do you think?

Old 05-31-2009, 12:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

post some pictures of it. that will help make a decision.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:43 PM

It will work, the only difference would be exhaust routing, you know the pressed in lines from the factory, the dimensions are the same, same wheelbase, if you are going to go that far, make sure you measure before you cut, you can also get some spare sheetmetal to make up any difference, leave something there to tack to. wheelbase;108,width 74.4, these are measurements from 70-73, 74-81 are wheelbase; 108, width; 74.5 all these are in inches and I hope I helped, bless you for saving another camaro bro!!!!!later

Old 06-04-2009, 12:31 PM

A complete new floor pan is available from Goodmark Industries for various year 2nd Generation Camaros. Partial replacement pieces are also available. Special care is required when replacing an entire floor pan to keep the Uni-body from changing shape. All Camaros are a Uni-body construction which means the front subframe and rear frame are attached through the body of the car. The floor pan should never be cut out and replaced with fiberglass as this method would comprimise the structural integrity of the car. The Uni-body transfer the torsional loads from the front subframe through the body to the rear frame. For an example of this, take an empty aluminum pop can and hold each end in one hand. Try twisting the can in opposite directions until the can fails. Take another can and cut a piece of the side of the can out and then try twisting it again. You will see it takes less effort to twist the can with the hole. Make sure you do not cut through the brace that runs under the front seats when you cut out the old floor pan.
Good luck with your project! Camaros rock on!!!

Old 06-04-2009, 02:10 PM
3rd Gear Member

If I remember correctly the frame is different from 75 and up. 70 - 74 didn't have catalytic converters and the floors were setup differently due to that.

I'm sure you can make them work but I doubt they're just "slap them in". You may have to make modifications.