My 71 Camaro build

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default My 71 Camaro build

Got the car running this last weekend, though only on a little brake clean, but thats half the battle and at least I know it'll run. Pulled the gas tank out as its got a bunch of what used to be gas but now is more like varnish lol, so I can get that pressure washed out this week. Also pulled the carb off and got a rebuild kit for it and got that all back together. And I finally found some time to go down to get my car registered and a new title. If all goes according to plan, the car should be drivable in a week or too. I gotta say, I'm pretty excited to see what she'll be like to drive. My girlfriends a little jealous of all the time ive been spending with the car but she'll get over it haha. More updates to come!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by CamaroGuy71
Got the car running this last weekend, though only on a little brake clean, but thats half the battle and at least I know it'll run. Pulled the gas tank out as its got a bunch of what used to be gas but now is more like varnish lol, so I can get that pressure washed out this week. Also pulled the carb off and got a rebuild kit for it and got that all back together. And I finally found some time to go down to get my car registered and a new title. If all goes according to plan, the car should be drivable in a week or too. I gotta say, I'm pretty excited to see what she'll be like to drive. My girlfriends a little jealous of all the time ive been spending with the car but she'll get over it haha. More updates to come!
Good deal! If she doesn't get over it, then you need a new girlfriend! That's what happened to my first wife 35 yrs ago! Present wife of over 30 yrs. likes the Camaro, and loves that it's geting done! She told me back in 2000 when it sat in the garage for almost 10 yrs. that I better get it running, or she'd pay somebody to do it!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by CamaroGuy71
Got the car running this last weekend, though only on a little brake clean...
Huh? You saying you ran the engine on brake clean?
First of all, do not use the chlorinated type, it's mean stuff. And don't use it where it might later come in contact with a flame. Hopefully nobody was standing near the exhaust pipe.
Read this: http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
And from the Material Safety Data Sheet: Inhalation — High vapor/aerosol concentrations (greater than approximately 100 ppm) are irritating to the eyes and the respiratory tract, may cause headaches, dizziness, anesthesia, drowsiness, unconsciousness, and other central nervous system effects, including death.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Huh? You saying you ran the engine on brake clean?
First of all, do not use the chlorinated type, it's mean stuff. And don't use it where it might later come in contact with a flame. Hopefully nobody was standing near the exhaust pipe.
Read this: http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
And from the Material Safety Data Sheet: Inhalation — High vapor/aerosol concentrations (greater than approximately 100 ppm) are irritating to the eyes and the respiratory tract, may cause headaches, dizziness, anesthesia, drowsiness, unconsciousness, and other central nervous system effects, including death.
Yep, dads idea lol. We tried ether first but it backfired and a little ether caught fire, so we put that out and switched to brake clean since it's a little less flamable. Only ran it a few seconds to see if it'd run and if it would stay running on it's own (on gasoline), but the carb was a little gummed up.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Update:
Well, got her runnin on her own this past weekend. Runs pretty damn good for sitting for 15 years or so. No brakes though....so if I get those fixed next weekend I should be able to drive it! And my dad's gonna let me move the car to his house to work on inside the garage...hopefully then it'll be easier to get stuff done on it.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Hope dad understands how lng one of these projects will tie up his garage! Wish I had a place big enough for more than storage! Gotta get rid of the motorcycle when spring arrives so I'll free up more car space.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Hope dad understands how lng one of these projects will tie up his garage! Wish I had a place big enough for more than storage! Gotta get rid of the motorcycle when spring arrives so I'll free up more car space.
Well actually he has a big garage. It's more like a small barn lol, right now it only has dirt floors. He's the one who suggested that if I help him clean it up and pour a concrete floor, that I could work on my car in there and he'd help out. I couldnt turn it down...I'll be able to work on my car and have plenty of room to disassemble it, plus I'll be able to store it there out of the weather both while I work on it and when I get it done. And he gets concrete floors so it's a win-win. And yeah, he knows how long it takes to do a car. He's been a mechanic for 35+ years, and has had cars like mine through a good part of his life. I think he's actually as excited about the car as I am. I just wish he'd stop spending my money on it haha.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like a win-win situation to me. He gets new floors and you get to dump oil and grease on them first!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like an awesome setup for you and your dad. When you gonna start showing us some stuffs? I'd like to see what you're working on!