To mod, or not to mod. That is my delema.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Default To mod, or not to mod. That is my delema.

OK This is my first post, and I have just one question really.
I have a 1980 RS Camaro, handed down from my Mom, who bought it off the lot, the car has ALMOST 200k miles on it. All orginal. It has a few rust spots, one at the passenger wheel well, one at the rear window, and a third on that replaceable piece just above the trunk lid/below the rear window.
I really want to fix this car up, but one point was brought to my attenction and this is that the car would lose value if I change things around.
My question is:

With this car, would it really be worth keeping or restoring to stock, or do what I want to do it?

And in all honesty, I want to replace the whole front clip with fiberglass, new rims(off a '90 camaro), paint(Electric Blue), new interior(Grey and blue), and maybe a newer engine just so the compartment is not so conjested.
HELP!!!
I dont plan on selling the car any time soon, but if keeping it original to the factory specs by... well... what it looks like...hhmmm (Black paint, maroon interior)[:'(]
But if it would make the worth/value more then I would. I guess this is a question I should really be asking car enthusists, but I would love to get the most input I can.

Thanks Guys!!

Old 10-27-2007, 04:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: To mod, or not to mod. That is my delema.

If you modify the thing you have to consider is that the car is an 1980 and subject to the Emission Control Standards of that Date. If it came with an Air Pump and Catalytic they will have to be emplemented. A Pre-Emmision Car is very desirable as they are not Subject to Emission Controls and NO Record of Performance is Noted for Insurance Rates. You can do about anything you want with cars up to about 1971 as long as they pass Fitness .

Old 10-27-2007, 04:41 PM

Right. This posting is more geared to asking if the it would be worth changing things around(how I would like) or if keeping it stock would make the value of the car worth more.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well if its your carI say restore it to a condition that would make you happy not someone else...Also since they made so many of thesecamaros from 78-81 it seems like the stock cars are not bringing in good money...they still just are not that hard to find for some reason...now if it was about 10 years older this would be a different story...but since its an 80Isayrestore it the way you like and have fun with it...I have a 79 and Im restoring it to my own specs because thats the way I want it to be...it will prolly be a good while before these start bringin in big money...good luck with whatever choice you make...

Old 10-28-2007, 09:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree with everybody build the car how ever you want, I chose to retore mine back to stock, but thats what I like im not into really modifying things If I know the itemis worth money if ithasnt beenmolested..

Old 10-29-2007, 07:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

IMO, modify it if you want but dont burn any bridges. You may want to go back some day.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:33 PM
2nd Gear member

i had a 79 that my mother bought brand new. it also had almost 200K miles on it. i was very iffy. but i decided to go inbetween. i took out the 305 and put in a 350 with headers 4brl carb and just made it look nice. i took the car over to a bodu shop and the place burnt down. destroying my car....other than the last part. just do mild stuff. like bamaro said. you may want to go back one day. so dont do anything crazy. but make your own car.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member

yea dude that sucked when you posted those pic of your burned up ride. That still pisses me off.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:24 PM

Hey guys, I really appreciate your helping me out... I like what I got and i'm glad I came here... I have my own ideas, but I keep thinking about how deep I want to take this project, right now I am for sure going to get tubular A-arms, paint, and interior. Then i'll just work from there!

Thanks again!!

Old 11-28-2007, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I put tubular upper and lower A armson my 68 GTO conv. frame down front suspension replacement-- excellent cornering, very tight, love them.

Quick Reply: To mod, or not to mod. That is my delema.