Metal interior

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear member

I found carpet at a junk yard, it was like brand new, once I pressure washed it. Paid like $3.
I also wrapped my plastic pieces with vinyl from Walmart. Was cheep. Get lots of compliments.

For door panels I used a piece of cardboard, and wrapped it with vinyl. Mine is a race car.
So it meet tech. Strangely I have gotten several compliments. Looks a lot better then
the old red plastic or nothing.

Lows and Home depot sell a hardwood under laminent. 1971BB427 told me about it.
Great stuff. I have it in 4 cars. I love it. and it is relatively cheep.
I would use just that long before going bar metal. It is for sound deadening and heat barrier.

Race cars are often close to just metal, but they still have to be covered to meet tech.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by gfrench
I found carpet at a junk yard, it was like brand new, once I pressure washed it. Paid like $3.
I also wrapped my plastic pieces with vinyl from Walmart. Was cheep. Get lots of compliments.

For door panels I used a piece of cardboard, and wrapped it with vinyl. Mine is a race car.
So it meet tech. Strangely I have gotten several compliments. Looks a lot better then
the old red plastic or nothing.

Lows and Home depot sell a hardwood under laminent. 1971BB427 told me about it.
Great stuff. I have it in 4 cars. I love it. and it is relatively cheep.
I would use just that long before going bar metal. It is for sound deadening and heat barrier.

Race cars are often close to just metal, but they still have to be covered to meet tech.
Vinyl sounds perfect for my pickyness. Seriously, I hate plastic haha. May even cover the dash with it, cause my dash is covered in god-knows-what sticky stuff, used an entire can of carb cleaner on it, still sticky. Anyways, glad to know there's things places other than Home Depot. Went there yesterday and today, and I'm not very happy with what they had, or at least their customer service. I proposed the idea of needing an under-carpet for my car and they gave me a ridiculous look. Even asked for some basic indoor outdoor carpet, and they gave me the same look. I don't see anything wrong with that idea, but whatever. Sounds like I'll be making a trip to the junkyard first before I drop $100 on a kit.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971bb427
i got "dynamat" style sound deadener for under $35 from home depot
what?
EDIT: Could you give me a product number or something?! I need this!

Old 10-24-2012, 07:05 PM

1971bb427 is absolutely correct.. Jo-Ann fabrics(I think is a national chain) stock a lot of great looking fabrics and coverings. Using some spray contact cement, even spray paints made for plastic/ cloth/ leather can do dramatic changes. I'll post photos of my 94 Camaro interior,it is black leather. I painted the center panels of the seats dark gray. With the proper prep,it looks great. Some will have to give Me a tutorial on how to post photos!

Old 10-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by reidski182
what?
EDIT: Could you give me a product number or something?! I need this!
Here's a link to Home Depot and the Frost King insulation. They carry it in the heating duct section:

E/O 12 in. x 15 ft. Self-Stick Foam/Foil Duct Insulation-FV516 at The Home Depot

Old 10-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 66fordman
1971bb427 is absolutely correct.. Jo-Ann fabrics(I think is a national chain) stock a lot of great looking fabrics and coverings. Using some spray contact cement, even spray paints made for plastic/ cloth/ leather can do dramatic changes. I'll post photos of my 94 Camaro interior,it is black leather. I painted the center panels of the seats dark gray. With the proper prep,it looks great. Some will have to give Me a tutorial on how to post photos!
Yes! JoAnn's Fabrics is where the wife sent me. I didn't know they were a national chain, but must be if we both have one!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:44 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Yes! JoAnn's Fabrics is where the wife sent me. I didn't know they were a national chain, but must be if we both have one!
They are, I have done several interiors there.
I use to be into minitrucks and I tweeded a few of my friends trucks.
Get the vinyl top spry glue from 3m and it will be stronger then factory.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yep I've got a Jo-ann a couple blocks from my house! I'll stop in there and check it out. Also, thanks for finding the insulation for me. This is going to be great. I'm assuming that glue will be found at either Jo-ann's or HD.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by reidski182
Yep I've got a Jo-ann a couple blocks from my house! I'll stop in there and check it out. Also, thanks for finding the insulation for me. This is going to be great. I'm assuming that glue will be found at either Jo-ann's or HD.
Not sure that JoAnn's will have 3M spray glue, but Home Depot probably has it. I use a local dealer who just sells spray paint, glue, and other automotive products.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:55 PM
2nd Gear member

Some JoAnns have it, but you want 77 or higher not 66. 66 is weak.

Quick Reply: Metal interior