Major lack of circulation issue!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Maybe a big ol' air bubble? I like Camaros idea too. I have had low coolant issues like that.
I don't get a bingo? Shucks.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
I don't get a bingo? Shucks.
Yeah, you get one too, I just don't know how to do two quotes on one post! I'm still working with rocks and sticks here!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:25 PM
March 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Glad to hear it was a simple fix!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

Well that's good news Vall.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Man it sure was good news to me! Of course you might guess the first thing that came to my mind was, "maybe that's why those heads were so cheap!"
I woke up 4-5 times last night thinking about it, and trying to figure out what I might have done wrong, but just couldn't come up with an answer. I'll sleep like a baby tonight!

Old 11-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Glad you got it, and glad to help. What you're experiencing with your head temperature can be considered normal. Aluminum dissipates heat faster than iron, and it also transfers heat faster. So what you're reading is combustion heat, and quite possibly exhaust heat from the headers getting absorbed into the heads. Your gauge is reading head heat, not engine heat. What you could do is move the gauge to the intake manifold, as that coolant is on it's way out of the engine and heading to the radiator. Or be trick and run two gauges; one in the intake manifold to read engine temp, and the other to watch the head temps.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Glad you got it, and glad to help. What you're experiencing with your head temperature can be considered normal. Aluminum dissipates heat faster than iron, and it also transfers heat faster. So what you're reading is combustion heat, and quite possibly exhaust heat from the headers getting absorbed into the heads. Your gauge is reading head heat, not engine heat. What you could do is move the gauge to the intake manifold, as that coolant is on it's way out of the engine and heading to the radiator. Or be trick and run two gauges; one in the intake manifold to read engine temp, and the other to watch the head temps.
That's an excellent idea, and I wish I had thought of it, but I don't have a threaded port on the intake. Had I thought of it before installing the intake I could have easily got the drill out and tapped for a gauge pickup. If I have it off again I will, and I will surely go the two gauge route to see how they differ.
Now I'm wondering if I could pull my swivel Tstat housing off and D&T for a pipe thread there? That would tell me temp when the stat opens too!

Old 11-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Well....I was going to suggest using a t-stat housing with a threaded fitting, but you just took the fun out of it.
I don't know that your nifty swivel housing has enough meat to drill and tap a deep enough hole though, to catch a decent amount of threads.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Well....I was going to suggest using a t-stat housing with a threaded fitting, but you just took the fun out of it.
I don't know that your nifty swivel housing has enough meat to drill and tap a deep enough hole though, to catch a decent amount of threads.
Could be right. I thought if it wasn't thick enough I'd use a two piece O ring fitting with a threaded receptacle. Looked at threaded housings yesterday, and they're pretty proud of them!

Old 11-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Overdrive Member

I have a stock one out in the garage. Its aluminum not pretty but it works. Look in the bone yard for anything with TBI.

Quick Reply: Major lack of circulation issue!