Looking into 2nd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Default Looking into 2nd Gen

Hello All,

New member here and had a question.

Background on me is that I am 26 years old and have owned "high HP" since 2006. Ranging from

1. Two 1994 RX7's - One a stock bolt on twin turbo, the second a fully built single turbo setup
2. Stage 3 Audi S4
3. Two 2005 GTO - One with just headers and exhaust, the other with headers, large cam, exhaust, etc.

Every time I've built these cars, I've ended up not being able to truly enjoy them because of smog here in California.

That is where I started looking into the smog-exempt cars and I've really fallen in love with the 1970-1973 Camaros.

I want to "slowly" build this car up so I'm looking for a project car. Ideally, one with the motor already addressed and the body not in bad shape.

Other than that, any knowledge about how you went about purchasing yours and the real problems to check for on these cars would help. I'm thinking $5-$7,000 should be able to get you a pretty decent project car.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

That's a good entry price for a early 2nd gen, but I doubt you'll get one that the motor is already done in that price range. From what I see you can get a decent car towards the $7k range that's complete, and maybe even driveable, but will need restoration and engine work.
Watch out for rust in the top of the dash at lower window corners, and of course the usual rust in trunk, floor pans, etc. Ca. car might not have as much rust if it's been there it's whole life, but even there these areas can rust if the seals go bad over time.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:46 AM
1st Gear Member