Looking for engine for 73 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Default Looking for engine for 73 camaro

My dad I were given a free 73 camaro. The only thing wrong is it has no engine and tranny.

Im looking to drop a good engine and tranny in this thing without getting TOO costly. Like seriously could I do this on a $1,500 budget?

If anyone can point me to some sites thatd be great.

Also I see all these 350 crate motors and arent sure why some are $8,000 and others are $2,000 but both claim to put out the same HP

Old 02-19-2008, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Looking for engine for 73 camaro

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you got a great deal.
You will have a difficult time dropping in a good engine for 1500. You could try craigs list, but you are taking your chances. There are alot of "extra" things to consider.
Some engines are short blocks (no heads) some are long blocks (with heads) youll need an intake, carb, lots of things that dont come on an inexpensive engine.
You may consider a turnkey engine, meaning all the major parts are included. I have a ZZ4 350 in my '70. The cheapest place Ive found online is at www.morethanjustpower.com you can get their best price and go to summit or jegs and ask for a price match, which they usually do. you could also look at www.phxengine.com I bought a 350 chevy and turbo 350 trans. from them, for my 68. They build to order--but you have to wait a long time, (3 months for mine) and it wasnt cheap. Hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:31 PM

ORIGINAL: got3ofem

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you got a great deal.
You will have a difficult time dropping in a good engine for 1500. You could try craigs list, but you are taking your chances. There are alot of "extra" things to consider.
Some engines are short blocks (no heads) some are long blocks (with heads) youll need an intake, carb, lots of things that dont come on an inexpensive engine.
You may consider a turnkey engine, meaning all the major parts are included. I have a ZZ4 350 in my '70. The cheapest place Ive found online is at www.morethanjustpower.com you can get their best price and go to summit or jegs and ask for a price match, which they usually do. you could also look at www.phxengine.com I bought a 350 chevy and turbo 350 trans. from them, for my 68. They build to order--but you have to wait a long time, (3 months for mine) and it wasnt cheap. Hope this helps.
Can I drop this right in and connect the wires and be good to go?

http://www.morethanjustpower.com/par...178&c_id=1

Old 02-20-2008, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Pretty much. Youll need engine mounts, This one is set up for A/C though, you could probably get by alot cheaper going with theZZ4 a step down and getting your own starter and alternator and power steering pump. Im including a pic of mine, so you can see the different things you can do to it. Also your going to need to get a new radiator, (bad idea to use an old radiatorwith a new engine) some good headers and a good exhaust system.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3587/BEFE86D640A34835B8DD57B7166915B8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-20-2008, 07:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i would love for you to work on my car : ) ...man that is sweet looking

Old 02-20-2008, 08:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

why dont you call around junk yards and then rebuild it????my friened was telling me 300 400 from junk yard but he could get me a new one for 700 his price he has a commercial account and this is not for a crate motor...but good luck in your hunting and dont get discouraged,it tends to be a easy thing to do when money isnt there...

Old 02-20-2008, 05:23 PM

I recently bought a 350 with 80'000 miles on it. Nothing wrong with it...but I am rebuilding it just to make sure nothing does go wrong. I had to pull it myself but for the complete engine (carb and all...)it was only $200. I found it on craigs list. Search around for a week or so. You'll find a good deal.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:32 PM

...maybe someone could help me out here... Does a 73 have a 2 or 4 bolt main? The engine you picked out has a 4 bolt main if I am not mistaken. If you are looking to just drop one in you need to make sure how many bolts hold the engine to the car or you will have to do some modification...

...so your next question might be why 2 or 4?Personally, I think a 2 bolt is just as good as a 4 on an automatic because of the torque converter. If you have a manual then maybe you want to change to a 4 bolt unless you are just that good of a shifter... OK now you can all yell at me for saying a 2 bolt is as good as a 4 bolt!

Old 02-20-2008, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lifted07Sierra
Also I see all these 350 crate motors and arent sure why some are $8,000 and others are $2,000 but both claim to put out the same HP
where are you seeing that? I think you might be a little confused

Old 02-20-2008, 09:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: got3ofem
Im including a pic of mine, so you can see the different things you can do to it. Also your going to need to get a new radiator, (bad idea to use an old radiatorwith a new engine) some good headers and a good exhaust system.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3587/BEFE86D640A34835B8DD57B7166915B8.jpg[/IMG]
why is your overflow hosefrom your radiator so long? is it even going to the bottle because it doesn't look like it is?

also, why do you have electric fans on the same side as the belt driven fan? they are blocking the flow of air to the radiator from your mechanical fan. if you put a shroud on your radiator and got rid of the electric fans, you would probably get abetter cooling than your current set-up

Quick Reply: Looking for engine for 73 camaro