Looking to buy... Need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:05 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Looking to buy... Need some help.

At the moment I'm just gathering information, car will likely not be bought until mid summer or later, depends on when we finish our corvette project.

Here's what I need to know and my plans.

I'm looking specifically for a 1970-73 that is need to be restored condition for as cheap as possible. I'm specifically looking for no engine or trans, and if I can a non SS or Z28 because I don't want to destroy history plus they get pricey. Are there specific good places to look for these? the only thing I really want is a somewhat intact dash and steering wheel just because aftermarket wheels are tacky imo and I don't want to have to fabricate a steel dash, I'm just not a big fan, but it's not a huge deal.

Also since I'm going all non original if it is possible to swap an 74-81 cars front end with a 70-73 front end? Those are much easier to find and I won't feel like I'm ruining a classic.

Lastly what are the common problems and things to look out with these cars and what parts are hard to find? This will be a frame off restoration if that matters.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

So where are you located? An early 2nd gen seems to be harder to get cheap in the midwest and east coast. Out here on the west coast they're easier, and cheaper if you don't live too far away.
I posted a couple here recently for another member looking for the same. One was $1900, and close to what you described.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:47 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
So where are you located? An early 2nd gen seems to be harder to get cheap in the midwest and east coast. Out here on the west coast they're easier, and cheaper if you don't live too far away.
I posted a couple here recently for another member looking for the same. One was $1900, and close to what you described.
I'm in Indiana, but I'm willing to drive quite a ways. We have access to a trailer and what not.

Mostly I'm just getting my plans together right now on what I want to do and I thought I wouldn't be able to do this for at least 4 or 5 more years, but the opportunity has arisen and I'm pretty excited about it, this is my "dream car" you could say.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I guess I'd say to start checking the statewide Craigslist site when you get closer. Here's a link to it. You can enter the year and model, then check your entire state, or adjoining states. It also links Ebay:
Statewidelist - Craigslist search by state

Old 02-06-2012, 11:44 AM
2nd Gear member

I guess I'd say to start checking the statewide Craigslist site when you get closer. Here's a link to it. You can enter the year and model, then check your entire state, or adjoining states. It also links Ebay:
Statewidelist - Craigslist search by state
Alright, anything specific with these cars to check and look out for?

Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 AM
2nd Gear member

rust everywhere, especially at the front and rear window corners!

Old 02-06-2012, 03:30 PM
2nd Gear member

Rear frame rails are a problem area on these cars,so definitely check those out.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Look for a West Coast car, and hope it doesn't have serious rust. Every 2nd gen will probably have some, or too much. Just have to try and find one that's from a state that either doesn't have much snow, no snow, or doesn't salt their roads. Then look it over closely!
Mine has had a good life and almost always garaged, no road salt, but when I pulled the windshield I had one lower corner that had a 1/4" hole through the first layer of metal under the sealer. So even a clean one can have rust where water sits and works it's magic!
What you don't want is rust in places that are hard to repair, like those rear frame rails BM mentioned. Or lots of rust where there's not much left holding it all together.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:48 PM
2nd Gear member

Look for a West Coast car, and hope it doesn't have serious rust. Every 2nd gen will probably have some, or too much. Just have to try and find one that's from a state that either doesn't have much snow, no snow, or doesn't salt their roads. Then look it over closely!
Mine has had a good life and almost always garaged, no road salt, but when I pulled the windshield I had one lower corner that had a 1/4" hole through the first layer of metal under the sealer. So even a clean one can have rust where water sits and works it's magic!
What you don't want is rust in places that are hard to repair, like those rear frame rails BM mentioned. Or lots of rust where there's not much left holding it all together.
ah the fun of old cars.

Why exactly are the rear frame rails so hard to repair etc?

This is the first car I will be 100% restoring, that is if we don't start seriously working on the vette soon then it will be second. I restored my 93 but it was new enough to only have a few places with rust and I didn't do a frame off because it obviously didn't need it.