LOOKING for 1971 Camaro in Alabama

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 09:37 PM
Default LOOKING for 1971 Camaro in Alabama

What's up guys/gals?

One of those guys right now, feeling I should have tried finding this car sooner, but with the resources we have now compared to 15-20 years ago is second to none. I have placed some FB post on muscle cars, and have some people working on this in the background while i'm doing my own research. My father restored a 1971 Camaro Sport in the early 90s. The car was previously purchased by my Uncle, who purchased somewhere in the mid 70's. My father sold the car sometime in the summer/fall of mid 90's to someone who worked at Fort Eustis, Army base in Virginia. My father worked there as a civil service worker. I believe around 95-97. DMV is very strict in the state of Virginia, and would absolutely not offer any information on my fathers previous car history even being the direct descendant. Everything came to a stall until recently when my Grandmother was able to find an old registration card that belonged to my Uncle. So with the registration in hand, I was finally able to locate the VIN number. So far I have been able to track mostly the registration of what I believe the person my father sold it to in the state of Virginia to where it ended up somewhere in Alabama. I have information that it was last registered in 2009, but no name no town...... nothing and somewhere out in the state of Alabama. The car had a 3 to 4 year paint job Midnight Blue (almost black) that my father had done himself in the 90s....not sure what it may have now. The car was not a Z28, it was a Sport Coupe. I am looking to find pictures very soon to post here, not sure how much that would help. Also, would not be surprised if he car became a track car. (Just rumors).

Like I said I have a VIN number, I'm open to suggestions or any help. Since being my father passed in 2001, it would mean the world to me to find this car. What do you guys suggest?

Old 09-22-2019, 11:45 AM
4th Gear Member

Good luck with your search but chances are slim.
If you are doing FB Muscle Cars you should also hit the Camaro specific Facebook pages,there are a bunch of them with many members.
Just type Camaro in the FB search and you'll find pages like Camaro Life, Show Us Your Camaro ,Camaros Unlimited etc.etc.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
Good luck with your search but chances are slim.
If you are doing FB Muscle Cars you should also hit the Camaro specific Facebook pages,there are a bunch of them with many members.
Just type Camaro in the FB search and you'll find pages like Camaro Life, Show Us Your Camaro ,Camaros Unlimited etc.etc.
I appreciate the response. I know the chances are slim, but it's worth a shot. I at least have a VIN to work with. I have attempted to join several Camaro groups on FB but no response yet. I know they require a picture on a profile to even consider, which I don't at the moment. I have a picture of my mustang, maybe that's the problem. Haha

Im a fan of all classic muscle, especially Camaros. It would mean the world to me to find this car.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

PM sent.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:51 PM

Just wanted to update everyone. Sorry for the late response. When it seems at times you're looking for a needle in a hay stack....you end up finding what you were looking for! I was able to track down my Father's old 1971 Camaro over 700 miles away in the great state of Alabama. Only 30 minutes from where my Mother and the rest of her side of the family are from.

Amazing to say the least. Was able to contact the owner by mail and seal the deal and brought her home just 5 weeks ago. I explained by stating i want sure if he owned a camaro of that year, but if he did its a good chance it was my Fathers. His father had just recently passed as well, so he was delighted by the idea to help bring back home an old family air loom. The car that got me into cars!

I know im gonna catch hell in this forum with the car on the right, but its a car I've had for a long time and It means alot to me. Now I have my car sitting next to my late Father's! At a loss for words!

Just comes to show sometimes, you never know and I can't tell you guys how happy I am! Thanks so much for the support here, it was actually a member here who helped me find it and I appreciate it Chuck!.

Mike

Old 12-22-2019, 05:16 PM
4th Gear Member

Wow that's fantastic! Congrats!
Not just a stroke of luck to actually find it but also an owner willing to part with it.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
Wow that's fantastic! Congrats!
Not just a stroke of luck to actually find it but also an owner willing to part with it.
give me 4 years, it will be show room! I'm stocked, even more so it was dads!

The car in my yard in 89!

Old 12-24-2019, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Charles, that's awesome. I'm glad I was able to help, and that your search had a happy ending. I can imagine what it must feel like to finally get the car back, no doubt dad is smiling down at you.
Chuck

Old 12-30-2019, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Charles, that's awesome. I'm glad I was able to help, and that your search had a happy ending. I can imagine what it must feel like to finally get the car back, no doubt dad is smiling down at you.
Chuck
If either of you guys have Facebook id like to keep you up to date on the build, if not I'll just post on here. Do you guys have Facebook?

Old 12-30-2019, 07:50 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Charles Greenwood
If either of you guys have Facebook id like to keep you up to date on the build, if not I'll just post on here. Do you guys have Facebook?
PM sent