leaky oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 02:08 AM
2nd Gear member

What kind of tranny? You might just need a new o ring.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I've never heard opf anyone having any success with sealant to stop gasket leaks, unless it was sealant that went on the new gasket, not in the engine oil.
It works great on those pesky intake gaskets. That front and rear rubber one that pops out. i have added a little sealant to the out side edge on several cars. It has worked every time.

I also added a little sealant to the outside of my timing cover last week. I noticed a drip. It stopped it. I am going to replace the cam pretty soon. Figured I would try it.

But no, it isnt the correct way to fix a leak. My results are not typically. I clean the surface with brake cleaner, then let the sealant sit for an hour or two before starting the car.

Wont help on a rear main.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by gfrench
It works great on those pesky intake gaskets. That front and rear rubber one that pops out. i have added a little sealant to the out side edge on several cars. It has worked every time.

I also added a little sealant to the outside of my timing cover last week. I noticed a drip. It stopped it. I am going to replace the cam pretty soon. Figured I would try it.

But no, it isnt the correct way to fix a leak. My results are not typically. I clean the surface with brake cleaner, then let the sealant sit for an hour or two before starting the car.

Wont help on a rear main.
I agree to sealing from the outside as you've done. I was referring to the wonder sealants that you pour in the engine oil to miraculously soften and seal gaskets from the inside. None of them work. And if it's the rear pan seal, try getting any sealer up on that rear seal! Impossible. If it's the front or sides you might goob some all over and seal those up.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue
But, i also have a transmission leak. It is leaking from where the speedometer cable goes into the transmission. Any recommendations on that problem?
The speedo leak is one thing you can definitely do easily! There's a small bolt that holds the threaded "bullet" on the tailshift of the speedo. Unscrew the speedo from the bullet and pull the cable off. Pull that small bolt loose until the metal tab underneath the bolt swings down out of the way. Now just pull the threaded end of the bullet straight out. Be sure to have a pan handy as the fluid will drain a little. Once it's out you can see the O ring on the outside of the bullet. There is also a gear inside the bullet, and it has an O ring too. Go to a parts store and get the new O rings, put both on and then apply a little trans fluid to the O rings and put it all back together. That will seal your leak.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you install a new rear seal pay very close attention to using the small plastic protector when putting it in. If you shave any rubber off the new seal it may immediately leak.
Note to gfrench: Throw the rubber end seals for the intake away. I haven't used them in years. Use silicone exclusively on the intake ends, never had a leaker.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:52 PM

omg sorry i have been out of this thread for a while. school started back up and there is already so much to do.

I don't have gaskets on my intake, just sealant is the best for sure. I think im just going to bring it to a shop...this one i go to is more expensive (they freakin charge you for shop towels) but they normally let me get under the car and watch everything the mechanic is doing. The tranny leak is just pissing me off though. I replaced the "bullet" with a brand new one...and it came with a brand new o ring and everything. threw that in there after i lubed up the o ring and it still leaked. I didn't change the o ring inside though so i think i will just have to give that a try.

thanks for all of the info it has been really helpful. if anything i know to look at the rear main seal and not the oil pan. Also gotta get another o ring replaced in the tranny.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I used to have a chronic leak with my stock speedo gear housing as well, and a new o-ring didn't help either. My T350 would even pee a load on the floor if the car sat for more than two weeks.
Get rid of the junk aluminum housing and get one of these, it fixed mine for good: Speedometer Gear Housing

Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I used to have a chronic leak with my stock speedo gear housing as well, and a new o-ring didn't help either. My T350 would even pee a load on the floor if the car sat for more than two weeks.
Get rid of the junk aluminum housing and get one of these, it fixed mine for good: Speedometer Gear Housing
Interesting. Both my Camaro and my Austin have steel housings. I didn't know they even made them in aluminum.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Do you know where the leak is coming from? front of pan, back? put a piece of cardboard under the car and take a look before you move it. we (my son and i) had a leak on our big block right under the harmonic balancer, turned out gasket was torn. Like the Man said, you will have to raise the engine somewhat to get the pan out. Be sure to scrape any gasket material or crud off both the engine block and the pan, or its all for nothing.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:12 PM

thats exactly what i bought a while back. the steel housing or "bullet" as we referred to it in previous posts (same site i think too). I had it brought to a shop when i first got the car and they put it in for me, they didnt mention anything about an o ring inside the transmission, just the one that wraps around the gear housing.

And i have no idea where its leaking from. im due for an oil change so im going to get underneath it with some degreaser and let it sit over night. I should be able to see exactly where the leak is coming from after that...hopefully lol

Quick Reply: leaky oil pan