This is just for fun.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thats a common one to happen on the old VW bugs.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:11 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

My wife says the Austin is an "attention *****". Jealous and can't just sit and be good, or drive around and not be constantly attened to. I think there might be something to her theory! About every 4-5 times I drive it, I need to adjust or tighten some little thing. Unlike the Camaro that's always been a get in, turn the key, and go for all the years we've owned it!

Old 07-01-2011, 07:23 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Well I would have never guessed it. But I'll give my answer anyhow. I was going with the pedal you welded on the otherday being too heavy and applying just enough pedal to drag the pads. I had an issue like that years ago when the aftermarket pedal covers came out. Not the big foot ones, I know those have been around since dirt. I'm mean the ones the ricers started using. The one for the gas was heavy enough to keep the pedal down slightly and the car would cruise at 25 mph with no foot on it. Never idled high though.

BTW thats what you need is a bigfoot gas pedal.
Well, you were pretty close, just a different reason for the pressure on the master cylinder. But that's one of the high points of the Subaru brake pedal assembly; it's got a really heavy coil type return spring that keeps the pedal returned fully even with the freeplay I've got in the rod now.
The new pedal is slightly thicker than the old, but I doubt it's more than a fraction of an oz. difference, as it's so much smaller in diameter. Might even be the same, except for the weld that was added.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Overdrive Member

Just a shot in the dark.